Hi i'm Andy

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hi i'm Andy

Postby photostore » 23 Aug 2010, 09:13

Hi All, as the title says my names Andy.
I have for a few years been interested in bbq but being in Scotland the new bbq i bought was used about three times over 4 yrs or so and rusted to the point you really could'nt expect to cook/eat from it when the rare opportunity to use it came around.

Anyway not to being the type to let things fade and die and a desire as i get older to get back to nature a little i decided i prefered smoking ( part of my work area includes regular visits to Arbroath ! )
In the last four month i roped a friend into teaching me how to mig weld and built a large smoker/cooker out of two old propane bottles (after a lot of serious research on safely emptying and cutting...as they say don't try this at home )
It is the typical American design, large bottle for smoking cooking and the smaller bottle on the end for a fire box, i've had a few succesful sessions with this - ribs,trout,makeral but i quickly realised using charcoal/wood its very hard to regulate temps and it needs continuous supervision, soooo..next venture, i made a smoke box out of one of those lockable van tool vaults you see on the back of open lorries and vans, i bought a gas burner which was fitted to the inside, inserted threaded rods through it for rack holding, hanging hooks etc and also bought a porky pa's cold smoke generator, ( smaller size generator and finding it very hard to keep it lit ! )
Anyway thats the story so far the smoke box is the way forward for me, much more controllable.

On the subject of the smoke daddy, anyone else have one ? im thinking of building a bigger one for increased air space/flow, and on that subject after searching us patent office with the patent applied for number i can find no results-it also states in us patent rules that until granted no infringement can be claimed and also no retrospective claims can be made, unlike uk law which allows backdating to application date and forfeiture of any infringements made prior to granting !
photostore
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Hi i'm Andy

Postby MadCow » 23 Aug 2010, 09:21

Hi Andy

Welcome to the Forum ... we'd all love to see some photos of your rig, sounds very interesting. I'm sure you'll find many like minded people on here, so please feel free to use us for ideas and to share some of your own.

Who know, maybe one day we'll even persuade you to compete !! :D
MadCow

Postby photostore » 23 Aug 2010, 09:55

Hi Jackie, as my avatar name suggests ( photostore) i was a pro photographer until about three years ago so pics are no problem, but whats the protocol for uploading / attaching on here ?
& whats the resizing requirements and how do you guys go about attaching or linking the pics on here ?
photostore
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MadCow » 23 Aug 2010, 10:02

I'm going to let Steve answer that one, as I have never quite worked it out :lol:
MadCow

Postby Steve » 23 Aug 2010, 10:27

Hi Andy,

Firstly welcome to the forum, your rig sounds very interesting, I think everyone's going to want to see pics :D

As far as posting pics goes, we try to encourage people to post as thumbnails from photobucket/flickr wherever possible. This is just to save our bandwidth really as the Society foots the bills for all the hosting costs and we want to keep everything free to all the users.

We do not restrict attaching images to posts though as we wouldn't want anyone to not post pics because they don't want to use another service for hosting. I think the size limit is set to 600 x 400. If you have issues when attaching images please pm me and I'll sort it out.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby photostore » 23 Aug 2010, 15:05

Hi Steve, thanks for the info.
I'll get some shots taken and uploaded to photobucket as soon as i can. i think photobucket has a link friendly thingy ! if not i'll get them up and put in the http address.
You may well be disapointed though as i'm a believer in " its more in the doin than the lookin "!

looking for help with the van vault if anyone knows where i can get good sheet insulation that wont be a fire risk, its ok just now but wont maintain the temp for much longer with our weather.
photostore
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 23 Aug 2010, 15:44

Hi Andy,

We recommend Photobucket because you can get forum friendly thumbnail code generated automatically, thus making it easy for the technologically challenged. Will be great if you can put some photobucket links in, looking forward to seeing your rig.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stickthekettleon » 24 Aug 2010, 21:38

Hi Andy, some funky sounding rigs, look forward to the pics.
Welcome to the forum.
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby lakemirror » 25 Aug 2010, 01:27

DrSweetsmoke wrote: I have seen them go out due to lack of air then back draft off a smoldering ember and blow the doors off.

This post is useless without videos! :D

Welcome, Andy...
lakemirror
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself