Hello, my name is Dan

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello, my name is Dan

Postby dannyboy » 20 Jul 2010, 11:53

Dear All

My story is a very similar story to many on this site. I too was brought up on carbon coated sausages. My introduction to real BBQ was via a friend of mine who worked for an american newspaper in the UK and had a weber kettle grill.

Since then I have owned a Weber Gas grill and have cooked everything from pulled pork, beer can chicken and ribs through to the xmas turkey. The results must have been good as my old man (the purveyor of the original carbon sausages) now has two and my brother in law also has one.

The one thing I was missing was the smokey flavour. For my recent birthday my wife bought me an Excel 20 with an extra stacker. I have unwrapped it but am yet to use it. I have read lots of comments on this forum and intend to start with a couple of chickens hopefully this week - probably next now.

The main advice I am looking for is regarding my parents 40th wedding anniversary which my brother in law and I are cooking for(he has also got a brand new Excel 20). We have 50-60 guests for lunch and want to do the main course on the two Excel's. What do you suggest and can you give me some timeings to enable everything to be ready by 1400.

Looking forward to getting going on the smoking and maybe competing (at least taking part) next year!

Regards

Dan
dannyboy
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hello, my name is Dan

Postby philnewts » 22 Jul 2010, 06:58

Hi Dan
Welcome to the forums. Would you be able to let us know what you would like to cook. Ribs can take anywhere up to 5/6 hours and Pork Butt and Brisket can be between 10-18 hours. Timing is usually dependent on size also.

Beer butt chicken on the Excell would work very well but you might want to cook at a slightly higher temperature to avoid soft skin.

Let us know your thoughts and I am sure we can help you with your times.
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ozza » 23 Jul 2010, 20:11

hi Dan

for wow stuff it tends to be things like pulled pork, ribs etc, all of which are a long cook but can be done overnight on a excel kept warm in foil and a cooler box or served cold, allowing you then to focus on stuff that needs grilling.

Ive also done "roadside" chicken, quick, easy to grill and seriously knock out, if you want something without grilling I would go for some beer can chickens, a wow factor if people want to see it, bloody easy to cook etc, with your excel you will get the smokey taste your looking for, if it aint on here, I can give you a receipe for doing beer can on a water smoker.

my suggestion would be make it easy as possible, do an over night cook on the big stuff etc

have fun
ozza
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 24 Jul 2010, 01:41

Pulled pork (pork butt) is the absolute easiest thing for a long cook. It will take a good 1 1/2 hours per pound, and it keeps nice and hot for at least a few hours. I wrap mine in foil and several layers of newspaper. You can also put it in a cooler (ice chest).

With so many people I don't know that I would try chicken, but maybe some ribs so they can see you in action would be good.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Return to Introduce Yourself