Hi from posh Hertfordshire

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hi from posh Hertfordshire

Postby chokethechicken » 22 Mar 2010, 14:22

Hi all,

Awesome site and forum.

I've always been a fan of BBQs and need to updrade my Weber charcoal grill.

I used to work in London and freqeuntly ate at the awesome 'Bodeans' restaurant in Soho. Amazing smoked ribs and pulled pork... it's time to start producing the goods at home so purchasing a 'smoker' is the way forward!

I spent some years as a fishmonger (!) so I may be able to offer some prep advice there. (None on smoking fish though!)

Looking forward to contributing where possible too. Anything IT related, just ask.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Hi from posh Hertfordshire

Postby Steve » 22 Mar 2010, 14:53

Welcome to the forum, love the username :lol:

You know you can do some amazing ribs on a Weber kettle so you can always get started before you buy a smoker :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Big Mick » 22 Mar 2010, 15:02

Hi I'm new here myself but I thought I would beat the rush to say welcome :?
Big Mick
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby chokethechicken » 22 Mar 2010, 15:05

Thanks for the welcome!

Never tried ribs on the weber.. hmmm. I'm impatient and like new gadgets though!
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby British BBQ Society » 22 Mar 2010, 19:56

Welcome to the fourm! Have you been to any other BBQ joints? looking forward to reviewing a few more.
Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chokethechicken » 22 Mar 2010, 20:18

Nah, just Bodeans. Apparently there's a nother place up the road from the Soho joint that's just as good. Dunno it's name though.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby esselle » 23 Mar 2010, 13:33

Hi there and welcome. Only just joined myself but the regulars seem friendly enough ;)
I could use a bit of a tutorial on fish filleting because when we go on holiday in the Keys we fish quite a bit and this year I fancy throwing a few on the grill.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby chokethechicken » 08 Mar 2011, 21:12

esselle wrote:Hi there and welcome. Only just joined myself but the regulars seem friendly enough ;)
I could use a bit of a tutorial on fish filleting because when we go on holiday in the Keys we fish quite a bit and this year I fancy throwing a few on the grill.
#

Oops, I only just read this today - 1 year later. Do I win a prize?!

The main piece of advice I can give you is to make sure you have a extremely sharp filleting knife.

- De-scale the fish (if requried) by scraping the back end of your knife against the grain (so-to-speak) on the fish. Scrap away from you as the scales will fly everywhere. Top tip - if you buy fish from a fishmonger, ask them to do it for you.
- Tip of the knife in the bum hole and cut along the belly to the bottom of its head.
- Pull out guts and run the inside of the fish under some water to clean.
- Off with its head.
- Fillet each side of the fish by placing the tip of your knife along each side of the backbone whilst pulling the flesh away as you run the knife along the bone and against the edges of the rib bones - being careful not to cut and seperate the rib bones.
If you do end up with some bones emedded in the flesh (and this does tend to happen more so with very fresh fish) use some clean small pliers to pull them out.
If you are grilling the fillets then it isn't a good idea to skin them as well.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby garymac » 09 Mar 2011, 09:07

Welcome!!

I am a Weber fan too. One touch Gold and a Go anywhere charcoal. Waiting for delivery of a WSM. If you are looking for a good deal I use Dawson Dept store. Price and service are excellent.

http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/bbqworld/webe ... 4QodDluEAA
garymac

Postby clairbare » 10 Mar 2011, 08:03

:lol: I got well confused reading this today, i had to go back and have another look :D I am gonna say welcome to the forum even though you joined over a year ago :P
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Introduce Yourself