Great to see an active BBQ Forum

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Great to see an active BBQ Forum

Postby wade » 15 Aug 2011, 07:41

Hi - My name is Wade and I live in Kent.

I have been hooked on real BBQ for about 15 years - since the time that my (then) job took me reqularly to the USA. I paid just under $49 (about £30) for my first 22.5" Weber - shows how long ago it was - and I was also allowed to bring it back as hand luggage on the plane! That one was still in reqular use until it finally died in June this year, although its younger siblings are still going strong.

I have imported a couple of offset smokers over the years (New Braunfels and Klose) however am currently happy with my own stainless steel (locally commissioned) creation. Unfortunately it is quite big and not too portable but it was a good prototype and is easily adjustable to give me perfect cooking temperatures.

I have never really got into competition cooking as, to date, I have never managed to be in the US at the right times - and was unaware of the rise of the British BBQ Society until now. Hopefully this will change, however I will probably be looking for a "dummy run" before submitting my first application.

If anyone in the Kent area (or beyond) wants to get in contact directly then please feel free to do so and I hope that I will be able to contribute regularly in the formum.

Have fun

Wade
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Great to see an active BBQ Forum

Postby Eddie » 15 Aug 2011, 08:54

Wade. A BIG WELCOME to the forum. nice to know that anougher person form kent is on the forum. Sounds like you have some interesting stuff there, don't be shy with the pic's. As for the competitions, the people that compete on the circuit are extremely friendly and help each other as much as they are allowed and is all done in a family atmosphere. Look forward in reading your post.

Regards

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 15 Aug 2011, 16:18

Welcome to the forum.

It would be cool to see some pics of your klose pit. I have a buddy that is just about to order one of those.
All Weather Griller

Postby JEC » 16 Aug 2011, 05:46

Welcome to the forum, get some pics of the BBQ family up, especially your own design unit
JEC

Postby clairbare » 16 Aug 2011, 07:04

Welcome Wade, we are near Brighton and love this forum and all our new found friends :)
You will get great advise on here!
Why don't you pop down to Rudgwick Steam Show on the August bank holiday weekend and meet the teams, it will give you more of an idea how we compete in the UK (just in case you feel like doing it next year :D )

Welcome again
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby wade » 23 Aug 2011, 20:57

I have just got back from holiday and have been surprised by all the activity on the board while I have been away.

Thanks Clairbare, I am planning on heading down to the Rudgewick show this Sunday - Judging day if I read the itinerary correctly - but I may also try to pop in on Saturday evening to say hi after helping my daughter move into her new house in Reading during the day. Does anyone know of a reasonable place to stay near the show on the Saturday night?

Jec, I have dusted off photos of the trusty smokers and will post them on the main board. Will have to dig deep in the photo archives for any of the Klose though as we parted company quite a few years ago. All Weather Griller, if you get a chance to visit the Klose "factory" just north of Houston Tx I would recommend it - they build some very imaginative custom smokers there.

Hope to meet some of you this coming weekend...
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby wade » 23 Aug 2011, 22:45

Photos posted in Anything Butt
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Impeed » 23 Sep 2011, 23:23

A month late...But Welcome ...im quite new here too and it has been soo usefull...keep up teh great work everyone!!!
Impeed
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself