Hi, I'm new

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hi, I'm new

Postby Taliesin » 13 Aug 2011, 20:27

Hi, my husband and I have recently caught the BBQ bug. It started earlier this year when we bought a Cobb and started smoking, then we bought a Weber Smokey Mountain and now we've given our gas grill away and bought a 57cm Weber charcoal grill that we are just starting to get to grips with (Myron Mixon's book is proving very useful). I'm really looking forward to the Weber roadshow in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully I'll pick up some tips on smoking a brisket, our ribs, chicken and turkey seem to be coming along quite well but the brisket is proving a bit more difficult. Perhaps a digital thermometer would help?
Taliesin
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hi, I'm new

Postby All Weather Griller » 13 Aug 2011, 20:45

Welcome to the forum, brisket can be tricky but it largely depends on the cut you have and the way you use your smoker. There are many of us that have the WSM's and other types so feel free to ask any questions on the brisket front.

Just be aware that all the advice you receive is just that, you will cultivate your own style to your own taste.

Good luck and again welcome,

Regards

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby clairbare » 14 Aug 2011, 07:48

Welcome to the forum, Adie is right, you will find your own way, with a little help from all your new friends on here :)
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Impeed » 14 Aug 2011, 08:53

Hi and Welcome,

You did the right thing joining, the people here are full of great advice and friendly.
You have a good collection of BBQ's there, that Cobb is marvelous, had one for 10 years and its just now getting a bit tired out. A Smoker and a kettle, hehe thats virtually the same kits range as me.

Have fun cooking.

:0)
Impeed
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Eddie » 14 Aug 2011, 08:57

Welcome, welcome, welcome. The thermometer that I have is a Maverick ET732, well worth having a look at.

Eddie.
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Taliesin » 14 Aug 2011, 19:46

Thank you! We did another beef today which was a slight improvement on the previous ones. I've been reading the forums and think I need to have a chat with my butcher as well as order the thermometer. I'm going to try again next week and see if I can do any better. What do you think of smoking meat in a foil tray? Myron Mixon uses trays for everything but I think it might be affecting the smoke ring?
Taliesin
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Swindon_Ed » 14 Aug 2011, 20:37

Hi and welcome,

I also picked up a copy of Myron's book and I did feel that he was leaving steps out which makes following some of the recipes quite hard to follow.

A lot of us on here will cook the brisket bare for a while to get an even smoke and then wrap with foil to keep it moist and speed up the cooking process, although there are some who don't foil half way through it's all down to preference.
Swindon_Ed

Return to Introduce Yourself