Hello from Thatcham

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello from Thatcham

Postby biggus_richus » 20 Jul 2011, 09:48

(For those that have never heard of it, it's near Newbury. For those that have never heard of that, heck, it's near London).

Hi all,

I've been lurking on here about a year or so. A couple of summers ago I bought my first decent kettle, a Weber Platinum and then last summer, I started googling to find out what else I could do with it besides grilling. This led me to indirect cooking and I cooked up some good stuff - rib of beef, duck, beercan chicken, ribs and a 7lb shoulder of pork. But I also found out about 'proper' bbq and hence this site and others.

After much internal debate and much to-ing and fro-ing between manufacturers (much like many others here, from what I've read), I finally took the plunge, and I now have a WSM in the boot of my car, waiting for the end of the working day. Hopefully, the weather will be a bit kinder this weekend, and I can head out to my local butcher, buy half a pig's worth of meat and *finally* get to see what the fuss is about...

Cheers,
Rich.
biggus_richus
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Hello from Thatcham

Postby JEC » 20 Jul 2011, 10:35

Hello welcome to the forum glad you stopped this lurking melarky. You won't regret the WSM, it's easier to use than the kettle and will let you cook more food, with hopefully better results from achieving those really low temps
JEC

Postby Curlie028 » 20 Jul 2011, 11:37

Welcome and enjoy.
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 20 Jul 2011, 13:56

Welcome to the forum Rich,

I went to Thatcham on a couple of occassions many moons back. I was in the RCT (Now RLC) and we used to pick up Flat Racks from a depot there.

I think you will be happy with your purchase there. All the best, don't forget to post some pics of your inaugural cook.

All the best

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 20 Jul 2011, 15:29

Hi and welcome
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby biggus_richus » 21 Jul 2011, 07:14

Thanks all.

All Weather Griller wrote:I went to Thatcham on a couple of occassions many moons back. I was in the RCT (Now RLC) and we used to pick up Flat Racks from a depot there.

I live just down the road. It closed in 1999 and is now, sadly, a sprawling estate with far too many houses jammed into it.
biggus_richus
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 21 Jul 2011, 07:32

An all too common tale unfortunately. I saw a lot of the writing on the wall in '97 and booked a rail warrant to civvie street. When we are in Tongham for the BBBQS comps I go for a mooch around Aldershot, that place is a ghost town also now.
All Weather Griller

Postby BBQ BAZ » 24 Jul 2011, 21:11

Hi Rich, welcome to the forum.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself