hello

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

hello

Postby oddsocks » 10 Jul 2011, 21:22

hi, i'm (if i say so myself) am fairly confident with food, and i'm looking to go a bit further with barbecue than steaks, sausage and the odd bit of souvlaki. i'm really interested in smoking at the mo, and by reading the forums it seems that the weber smokey mountain is the recommended product of choice. is that fair to say? can i also ask why there aren't many barbecue restaurants in the uk?
oddsocks
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: hello

Postby JEC » 11 Jul 2011, 07:40

Hello and welcome. The WSM is an excelled piece of kit and many of us on here have one (or three), it is a good choice for those new to smoking as it works straight out of the box and doesn't require anything like the amount of babysitting compared to offset smokers or the cheaper bullet units. In my opinion it's money well spent

I think the reason we don't have many barbecue restaurants is it's not really seen as a mainstream food choice by the British public when they go out for dinner, more something you do for yourself at home, although for the great majority of Q'ers they are missing out of the world of slow smoked food. In a way it's similar to Fish and Chip shops, there are thousands here in the UK but not many in the US where BBQ is seen as a national food in many states.
JEC

Postby esselle » 11 Jul 2011, 09:20

Hi and welcome to the forum.
My take on the lack of restaurants is the fact that we just have to educate the british public to what 'low and slow' is all about. Once they try they definately want more.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby clairbare » 11 Jul 2011, 09:42

esselle wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum.
My take on the lack of restaurants is the fact that we just have to educate the british public to what 'low and slow' is all about. Once they try they definately want more.

I will 2nd that - we just catered for about 30 adults at the weekend and they all LOVED the food :D
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby oddsocks » 11 Jul 2011, 19:15

thanks! i think that someone is missing a trick here, tgi fridays and argentinian steak houses are very popular, and everybody loves a bit of food theatre! when i win that £166m on friday the first thing i'll do is get a team together and open up a bbq house!
oddsocks
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 11 Jul 2011, 19:29

oddsocks wrote:thanks! i think that someone is missing a trick here, tgi fridays and argentinian steak houses are very popular, and everybody loves a bit of food theatre! when i win that £166m on friday the first thing i'll do is get a team together and open up a bbq house!

Unless you know that no one is going to win on Tuesday's draw I'd suggest you get yourself a ticket for tomorrows rather than regret it, not everyone has spotted the Euro Millions has gone to twice a week :shock: If you do know that know one will win tomorrow any chance of a PM on the numbers, I'll except 5 and 1 lucky star if you want to keep the jackpot to yourself :lol:
JEC

Postby oddsocks » 11 Jul 2011, 19:36

JEC wrote:
oddsocks wrote:thanks! i think that someone is missing a trick here, tgi fridays and argentinian steak houses are very popular, and everybody loves a bit of food theatre! when i win that £166m on friday the first thing i'll do is get a team together and open up a bbq house!

Unless you know that no one is going to win on Tuesday's draw I'd suggest you get yourself a ticket for tomorrows rather than regret it, not everyone has spotted the Euro Millions has gone to twice a week :shock: If you do know that know one will win tomorrow any chance of a PM on the numbers, I'll except 5 and 1 lucky star if you want to keep the jackpot to yourself :lol:

tuesday draw thanks, i did forget!
oddsocks
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself