Hello There

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello There

Postby smokeyribjames » 23 Jun 2011, 17:34

Hello
I'm new in England and have just got myself a smoker. I bought some charcoal from a service station and it tastes like it's soaked in gasoline. I just wanted to know where you guys get your charcoal. Is chemical-free charcoal available here, or will I have to get it sent over from the states? (could be expensive)
James
smokeyribjames
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hello There

Postby All Weather Griller » 23 Jun 2011, 17:37

James it is likely to be self lighting.

I would avoid using it if you can. Where a bouts in the country are you? Welcome to the forum by the way.

Beers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby smokeyribjames » 23 Jun 2011, 17:47

I'm staying in Exeter for a few weeks, but I'm travelling around the country a fair bit. So I can pick it up from other places if necesary. It wasn't that self lighting. Needed a lighter :D
smokeyribjames
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby All Weather Griller » 23 Jun 2011, 17:56

Lol,

There are a few types, restaurant grade lump is usually he best and as your new the UK you probably won't have a wholesale card to pick it up.

Find a decent garden centre that stocks either Heat Beads or cocoshell. It may be worth calling into a bookers and asking for a day pass, explain your new to the UK and the manager may take pity on your plight. If you do get access to a bookers, you want the blue bag restaurant grade:

Your nearest Booker is Bittern Road, EX2 7LW

Like I say a good garden centre may help. You can mail order decent charcoal from the UK to UK which might be cheaper than hauling some kingsford across the pond :lol:

Beerz

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby Chris__M » 23 Jun 2011, 20:57

Liverpool Wood Pellets also do restaurant grade charcoal by mail order. Someone here has used them, but I don't recall who, offhand.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 23 Jun 2011, 20:59

Royal Q Use them a lot, same Charcoal as Bookers, but they do better prices than Bookers based on quantity.
All Weather Griller

Postby Chris__M » 23 Jun 2011, 20:59

Heh - I see that Adie have already mentioned this on another thread tonight - I'm not copying, honest! :lol:
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 23 Jun 2011, 21:07

Chris__M wrote:Heh - I see that Adie have already mentioned this on another thread tonight - I'm not copying, honest! :lol:

As long as the info gets out buddy... It's the message that's important not the messenger :lol:
All Weather Griller

Postby Chris__M » 23 Jun 2011, 23:48

Have just ordered some more pellets from them, which is why they came to mind. Having been slightly disparaging about them (albeit guardedly so) yesterday, I ate my words today, along with a pork sandwich.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 24 Jun 2011, 05:55

I do feel for thePellet community on her. There is a worry about the longevity of good consistent supplies.

I hope you guys can find a good stock or between you come up with enough demand to import a container.
All Weather Griller

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself