Hello There

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Re: Hello There

Postby Chris__M » 24 Jun 2011, 08:24

There really isn't a problem with supplies of pellets in the UK.

The Louisiana Grills brand are readily available and come in several varieties (alder, apple, cherry, hickory, and mesquite). I have had great success with both the apple and cherry varieties. Apparently, they are manufactured by the same company who make Lil Devils, but I found their smoke taste more pronounced.

They are no more expensive than the pellets Jackie was importing, so there has been no price hit in moving to them. Enough UK companies are stocking them that I have no worries about continuity of supply.

Why I am experimenting with the Lil Devils pellets is that Liverpool Wood Pellets is selling them at half the price of all other imported brands on sale in the UK. Also - as LWP is in the (heating) pellet business, I can't help thinking that if people buy from them and show there is a demand, they may also get into manufacturing their own food grade pellets, which can only be good.

Regarding economies of cooking, I estimate that my Traeger uses 0.5lb/hour when in smoke mode, 1lb/hr at medium (325 F, approx) and 2lb/hr on high. This means that the Louisiana Grill pellets work out about 50p/hr to smoke and 2 quid an hour for cooking on high. The Lil Devils will work out at about 25p/hr to smoke and 1 pound/hour for cooking on high. I think that is probably less than I was spending on charcoal to keep my Weber kettle going.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby smokeyribjames » 24 Jun 2011, 16:42

Thanks to you all for all your help. I did not get around to calling exeter logs because before I got a chance, I found what I was looking for. I was out on the coast this morning and I came across some charcoal from a company called Bulworthy Project. It looks just like the charcoal they make back home (looks like black wood). I've smoked a leg of lamb over it this afternoon and there's no chemical taste at all. There's good sized lumps of charcoal in it and it kept burning for just long enough to cook the lamb right through.

I'll be back to pick up some more tommorow.

Now I just need to find some good smoking wood. At the moment I just have oak, as my friend that I'm staying with has a shed full of it and an axe.
smokeyribjames
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Smokingwoodman » 24 Jun 2011, 17:09

Hi James

I make a bit of Charcoal which seems to please those who buy it.

I am based Andover area so if you are passing on the A303 sometime check out my selection of Smoking Wood.

If you look at www.hampshirewoodsuppliers.co.uk and read my Making Charcoal blog it has more info.

regards Paul
Smokingwoodman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby smokeyribjames » 24 Jun 2011, 17:31

Hi Paul
Sounds like you're having a lot of fun there. If I'm in your neigbourhood, I'll come and see you and pick up some of that charcoal.
james
smokeyribjames
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby All Weather Griller » 24 Jun 2011, 17:37

James,

Paul does wood on mail order, it's dropping him a PM, his pricing is excellent.

Beerz

Adie
All Weather Griller

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself