Hi All

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hi All

Postby madmart69 » 22 Jun 2011, 08:57

Hi all
Have been a keen BBQer for years and now looking for my first smoker...
any help on what to buy would be appreciated.
madmart69
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hi All

Postby Curlie028 » 22 Jun 2011, 09:14

Welcome to the board.

Only a beginner in the world of smoking myself. Bought a 47cm Weber Smokey Mountain a couple of weeks ago and it is absolutely fantastic. There are other great smokers out there and the guys here will keep you right to get one that suits your needs and wants.

Have a surf round the forums, you will find some great info. doing this and then ask and the guys on here will answer.

Definitely the friendliest and most helpful forum I have been on.

The biggest hurdle I found in selecting my smoker was making the call. I twisted and turned, so my advice would be soak in the advice these guys give you and then make your call, get a smoker and start smokin'.

I do have a warning though. You are entering a very infectious world that will move you a couple of levels up in the world of BBQ but once it captures you, you are hooked. My wife has asked me do I want to make a bed up in the shed I keep the WSM in :shock:
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby esselle » 22 Jun 2011, 17:32

Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you know what style of smoker you are after?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 22 Jun 2011, 18:37

madmart69 wrote:Hi all
Have been a keen BBQer for years and now looking for my first smoker...
any help on what to buy would be appreciated.

Hello

Welcome aboard, one thing's for sure we can help you with choosing your first smoker. What's your budget, if you can stretch to I like many others on here would recommend a Weber Smokey Mountain, 47 cm is more than big enough for most people.
JEC

Postby LM600 » 23 Jun 2011, 12:27

Hello Mate,

Just to add some confusion (!) I have a Pro Q Excel 20 with a cold smoke generator so I can hot and cold smoke - no expert by any means but even in my ham fisted paws it turns out some good results.

This is a "Bullet" or "Water" smoker, the same style as the Weber (which I have heard nothing but good reviews on but was put off personally by the one access door) and it comes apart into 4 sections so you can smoke / BBQ a lot or not such a lot simply by adding or removing the 'stackers' or lid.

It contains a bar in the lid with five hooks so you can hang stuff in there, so far I've hung snags such as chorizo and some pepperoni. Also in the lid is a vent, just leave this wide open and you'll be alright along with a temperature gauge which seems to be fairly accurate (bear in mind I'm not precious and it lives outside come rain or shine).
The two main parts are the 'stackers' these contain the cooking grates and the lower one holds the water pan which is huge, they also each have an access door for chucking more fuel or wood (lower door) or peeking (upper door).
The lower part has three vents (I just leave these open) the charcoal basket and the three legs the whole she-bang stands on.
There are also probe holes for a temp. probe to go into the smoker.

All in all I have to say I'm pleased with it.

The most difficult part is the deliberation, let's face it smokers in the UK are pretty expensive bits of kit (that's the market forces working I guess) and I spent a LONG time thinking "Should I go for the E20, save the 70 odd quid more for a Weber, save even more for a Bradley (decided that that logic is the same as a gas 'BBQ' and should be cast into the (no doubt, gas fired) pits of hell for all eternity!) or say "Eff It!" and fabricate some kind of Heath Robinson contraption.....I took the easy, most sane option and I haven't looked back.

Oh, and the Guys 'n' Gals on here are pretty cool too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LM600

Postby Burntwood boy » 23 Jun 2011, 12:59

Hi Mart,

I have only just joined here myself, but would say if you are looking to learn you have come to the right place. There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people here.

Christian....
Burntwood boy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby madmart69 » 23 Jun 2011, 16:21

Thank`s for all the advise folkes
Ive just ordered the ProQ Frontier with the cold smoke option.
Should arrive tomorrow so gonna give it a blast on Saturday weather permitting.
madmart69
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby JEC » 23 Jun 2011, 17:03

madmart69 wrote:Thank`s for all the advise folkes

That will keep you busy for a while!!
JEC

Postby Burntwood boy » 23 Jun 2011, 17:08

madmart69 wrote:Thank`s for all the advise folkes

Happy Smoking!!
Burntwood boy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 23 Jun 2011, 17:25

Good choice! The Frontier is a stalwart of the ProQ family.

Don't be shy, let's see your pics and inaugural cook.

Beers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself