Newbie from Lisburn, NI

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Newbie from Lisburn, NI

Postby Curlie028 » 05 Jun 2011, 15:56

Hi everyone.
Been happily BBQing for many years and want to now take it to a new level.

Had a simple self built brick double grill for years but unfortunately it had to come down to make way for the extension. All on that front is now complete and have been using a B&Q bought Adstock half barrel since work began a couple of years ago. (I know, it was a long slow slog)

So I'm now looking for the perfect next step and have been clicking through your great site.

Think I'll go for a smoker but as yet I'm undecided which one, cause it's all new to me, in deed I don't know anyone with one who can give me advice.

Expect a lot of questions and for most of you guys, I'm sure daft questions at that but if I'm going to invest more than I ever had in a system, I want to ensure I optomise the experience.

Cheers,
Curlie
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Newbie from Lisburn, NI

Postby Curlie028 » 05 Jun 2011, 17:17

Undecided on the type of smoker at this stage. I really am as green as they come when it comes to smokers and nothing more than a very enthusiastic family griller. But the site as really wet my appatite (did you see what I did there :lol: ) to move to a new level.

As for price, I'm keen to buy something that will serve the purpose and not fall apart in a couple of seasons. Happy to push the boat out a little as I have a birthday next week, followed by father's day and I have a wife and 3 working kids who will help with the cost, so they can get me something that gets more than a polite smile and never makes it out of the box.

Want to be able to mostly cater for small groups 8 to 12 but be able to occasionally push the boat out and cater for a much larger number. I found this site initially in a search for equipment and "how to" for a hog roast. Number 2 is 21 this August and when I asked what he wanted he asked me to do a push the boat out BBQ for family and his mates. That initial request developed into the spit idea but I no longer feel it is feasible, given the cost of equipment, numbers needs to devour a pig and the lack of opportunities to make the set up cost worth while.

Now I have fallen on the idea of smoking and hope that would impress his mates.

Starting to ramble though :?

On the money side, happy to spend a couple of hundred quid, prepared to spend £300 but would have to seriously convince myself if I needed to spend more than £350 but could see it done.

Want to also make sure I don't get caught with, spent "real" money on the smoker, only to find I need to spend more on all sorts of accessories.
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Curlie028 » 05 Jun 2011, 17:58

Had a look on your website Doc and would love a job like your's.
What type of machine is that in pic 37 and are the two sections in the middle the stackers you mention?

Cheers,
Curlie
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Curlie028 » 05 Jun 2011, 18:36

Enjoy!
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Curlie028 » 06 Jun 2011, 07:30

Thanks Doc.

I have a couple of books ordered up and have landed on the ProQ Excel 20.

Plan today is to trawl the web for the best deal I can get.

Appreciate your very friendly greeting. If only 10% of the BBQ scene are as helpful as yourself, this is going to be a fantastic direction I have taken.

Going to move all further questions to the beginners board.

Cheers again Doc,
Curlie
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself