Just popped my WSM cherry

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Re: Just popped my WSM cherry

Postby jotch » 03 Jun 2011, 15:15

Just checked it out. Looks like it'll be fun, charity or not tho, it's a bit pricey! At least my 2 year old would get in for nothing :D
jotch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby jotch » 15 Jun 2011, 10:50

I'm curious, how do people cook different items in the same session and still manage to smoke them?

I cooked a shoulder for a good 13 hours but obviously my ribs can't stand that kind of cooking time, so I freshened up the coal, added some more wood and stuck the ribs on for the last 4-5 hours whilst the pork continues to cook. Is that the norm? Therefore if I wanted to smoke some wings as well for an hour, I do the same again, freshen the coals if the heat isn't there and add even more wood?

Or are people smoking the food all at the start and then taking the ribs and wings off after the time needed and storing them in the fridge ready for reheating when the pork is complete many hours later?

:?
jotch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 15 Jun 2011, 12:14

There is a thread that talks about this a bit more but i belive that once the mean hits a certain temprature, i belive around 130f the meat will then take on very little smoke after this so you are ok to start smoking other meats.

Although if you're cooking pork or brisket you'd normally wrap in foil at 160f and this will protect the meat from anymore smoke. When the pork or Brisket hit the right internal temp you'd rest them for a couple of hours and this would also give you the time needed to smoke your ribs and again with chicken with ribs once you've foiled the ribs this will give you time to smoke the chicken.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Vic. » 15 Jun 2011, 19:14

jotch wrote:I'm curious, how do people cook different items in the same session and still manage to smoke them?

I cooked a shoulder for a good 13 hours but obviously my ribs can't stand that kind of cooking time, so I freshened up the coal, added some more wood and stuck the ribs on for the last 4-5 hours whilst the pork continues to cook. Is that the norm? Therefore if I wanted to smoke some wings as well for an hour, I do the same again, freshen the coals if the heat isn't there and add even more wood?

Or are people smoking the food all at the start and then taking the ribs and wings off after the time needed and storing them in the fridge ready for reheating when the pork is complete many hours later?

:?

imop, smoking things at different temps is difficult
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby jotch » 16 Jun 2011, 08:03

Same temp, just cook things over time...so keeping the steady temp of 240 degF or there abouts will cook anything, it's just about the time it takes and how much coal you have :lol:

Just thinking that this is why all you guys seem to have about 5 different bbqs. I'm not looking to grill anything, just slow and low everything I can!
jotch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Smoke-on-Water » 17 Jun 2011, 20:51

Hi Jotch,

I'm in Bromley too, which butcher do you use ?
I am really struggling to find good cuts of meat locally.

Cheers Eddie
Smoke-on-Water
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby jotch » 18 Jun 2011, 18:20

I go to my local butcher, it's on Burnt Ash Lane...

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1035&start=20#p8076

J Andrews Family Butchers
81 Burnt Ash Lane, Bromley
Bromley, BR1 5AA
Telephone 020 8402 4123

They're really good in there, just ask for what you want, they usually have it out the back if it's not on display...or give him a quick call before you set off. Get there early on a Saturday tho as it's a busy little shop!

Next time I fire my baby up I'll take more photos of the joints before hand, etc.
jotch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 19 Jun 2011, 16:00

In a recent competition, we smoked all 4 meats on my one Excel 20. It really isn't a problem, since the pork butt and brisket are off and wrapped by the time the chicken goes on. We use lower temps (220 +/-) for the pork butt and brisket for most of the smoke, then higher temps (250-260) for the ribs and chicken.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself