Just popped my WSM cherry

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Re: Just popped my WSM cherry

Postby jotch » 02 Jun 2011, 08:13

JEC wrote:Wickes currently have 10kg bags of BigK for £10. Welcome to the WSM club

Nice one Jec, I'll check it out. :D
jotch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby clairbare » 02 Jun 2011, 08:23

jotch wrote:I wonder how easy it is to come up with my own rub/baste/bbq sauce...

We make ours all from 100% scratch, there is a massive amount of information on the web and once you have found one you like you can adapt them - I can't stop smiling at the fact we came in the top ten in our first competition (sorry to bore everyone with that fact again :D ) with rubs and sauces we just came up with :)

Good luck and enjoy the experimenting - we have had a few rubbish cooks but thanks to the help and support on this forum we corrected our errors and have made some good cooks.

Welcome again to the forum and happy smokin'
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby jotch » 02 Jun 2011, 08:46

Hi Clairbare,

I'm looking forward to experimenting, I already make a pretty mean chilli sauce that I'm refining so that it's lovely and smooth...carrots goes really "bitty"...hmmm :? So I'm now growing my own chillies as I go through too many scotch bonnets as it is!

Anyway, rubs and basting is obviously the key to tasty meats...and not over smokin', but do any of you have a way of testing a rub without cooking it on a pork butt for 15+hours? Starting to feel like Heston Blumenthal, now where's my chemistry set :lol:
jotch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ZUL » 03 Jun 2011, 10:10

Greetings and welcome from SW London. Sounds like you have already had some success with your WSM, keep smokin'!
ZUL
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby jotch » 03 Jun 2011, 10:35

ZUL wrote:Greetings and welcome from SW London. Sounds like you have already had some success with your WSM, keep smokin'!

I'm quite suprised how easy it was, although I've not tasted any competition winning food so have nothing to compare it all to, however the ribs were nice and the pulled pork was tender and tasted good too, so I guess I can't complain.

I think next time it'll be a bit more experimental with the rubs and baste/sop...not quite soo much cayenne pepper! :twisted:

Maybe I'll see if I can send some smoke signals your way next time ;)
jotch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Eddie » 03 Jun 2011, 10:50

I don't know if you had read anything about it, but if you want to taste good food try looking up grillstock. A long way, but it looks like it's going to be a good day eating.

Eddie.
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 03 Jun 2011, 12:11

Eddie wrote:I don't know if you had read anything about it, but if you want to taste good food try looking up grillstock. A long way, but it looks like it's going to be a good day eating.

Eddie.

Or alternatively why not pop down to meet the BBBQS teams competing at the Big Feastival on the same weekend on Clapham Common.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jotch » 03 Jun 2011, 13:13

Bristol is a bit of a trek, but Clapham Common could be doable. What's the score with that then? Who's going to be there...is there a post on the forums about these festivals?
jotch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Eddie » 03 Jun 2011, 13:18

Good choice, for info please look up Big festIval in the BBBQS News.

Eddie.
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 03 Jun 2011, 14:21

The big Feastival is a charity thing set up by Jamie Oliver with all the profits going to the Prince's Trust and the Jamie Oliver Foundation. It's a big food and music festival with some good bands on (Los Hermanos Cubanos rock!!) and a fair few top London restaurants exhibiting.

There's a link in the news section but it looks like it will be a great weekend. To be fair our competition is just one part of it all, albeit the best part :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself