GMG - Daniel Boone

A forum for reviews of BBQ's & Smokers. Only mods and admins can create new topics here, but everyone else can reply. Opinions expressed here are those of the individual and are not representative of the BBBQS.

Re: GMG - Daniel Boone

Postby Tiny » 07 Jun 2015, 20:27

Old chap, you have a new one like mine.

You have options, you choose the holes to be closed when slow smoking and there is no grease risk, if you are direct the 2 stainless plates are meant to be aligned to let more direct roaring heat through.

Personally I have run with closed with no adverse affects......

But today...saddest death ever, a snail had drowned in my grease bucket.......
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Verminskti » 08 Jun 2015, 05:12

He just wanted BBQ. A salute to our fallen Snail BBQ brother! Of course in France.......

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 08 Jun 2015, 06:00

Morning,
Cant see the photo but it must be the weekend for fallen snail brothers at the hands of GMG, was giving mine a spruce up yesterday and Mr snaily snail had drowned in the grease bucket....

Fellow DB'ers, how often do you disassemble to remove ash? in the promo videos they suggest hardly ever but I did it yesterday after perhaps 30-35olbs of pellets burnt and found the burn pot half full of ash despite running fan mode to clear after every cook. Do you have similar experiences?

Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby noxskuses » 08 Jun 2015, 08:52

I always switch off using fan & take the vacuum to it after every 3-4 cooks.
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 08 Jun 2015, 14:32

I'm about the same around 5 cooks or so then i clean it out, Fan mode doesn't clear the crud ash from the firepot, it makes sure the fire is out before turning off the fans. This is to prevent the fire burning back along the auger into the pellet hopper. Not common but it has happened.

Before you take the wife's dyson to clear the ash a cheaper and more importantly life preserving vacuum is available on ebay, i bought one like and it does the job.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerplus-Ash ... 418f66163e
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby tommo666 » 16 Jun 2015, 21:12

GMG has released a new android app for the wifi controller. A couple of new features, you can set your location to hot or cold. Meaning the if you're in a cold climate you should be able to reach and hold high temps. Also you can now select Fahrenheit or centigrade firmware.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Vibe » 05 Jul 2015, 22:24

Hi guys,

I will be looking into getting a DB but I have a question regarding thermometers.

I have the Maverick ET 733, can I use this as well as the one that comes with the DB? If so, I'm guessing just going under the lid?

Also as I have the Maverick ET 733 would it be worth me saving a few pennies and getting the non WiFi version?
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 12 Jul 2015, 10:19

Hi Vibe,
There is a small hole on the left of the grill for your probes to go through, sure you could feed through there.

I would say if this is your approach then see if you can get a discount on an non wifi version.........
Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Vibe » 18 Jul 2015, 20:20

So I got it today and Darren from AmericanBBQ personally delivered it and helped set it up and get it into the garden (currently only have use of 1 arm so needed assistance).

The first remark from my brother (who pays the bills) was - "That better not cost a lot to run if you look at doing 10 hour+ cooks. Otherwise your rent goes up!"

So, I got to investigating the cost to run this on just the electricity side of things. I was quite happily suprised!

So, using a rate of 13p per Kilowatt (ours is actually 12p but I prefer to over estimate) and 2 start ups (2nd start-up added for error room, again I like to over estimate) then a 10 hour cook will cost a total of 10p!

That's 30 minutes of start-up @ 240W and then 10 hours @ 60W as per the GMG specifications found on their website.

My brother then said if I start doing 4 a month he wants me to set up a direct debit for £0.40 :lol: :lol:
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 19 Jul 2015, 08:57

Splendid, welcome to the GMG bretheren, but suggest you set up the DD for £1.60 as I reckon I cook on mine an average of 4 times a week it is so easy to use and the food just tastes so bloody good. Darren from American BBQ seems like a top chap.....

Enjoy,
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to BBQ / Smoker Review