GMG - Daniel Boone

A forum for reviews of BBQ's & Smokers. Only mods and admins can create new topics here, but everyone else can reply. Opinions expressed here are those of the individual and are not representative of the BBBQS.

Re: GMG - Daniel Boone

Postby wade » 19 May 2015, 09:20

Tiny wrote:Hi fellow GMG'ers,
One question for you, how accurate do you think the temp guage is?
Tiny

Again I can only speak for the Davy Crockett but I had my Maverick and data loggers in the chamber in different locations and all were within a couple of degrees of each other. I understand from a friend who has the DB that there is more of a temperature gradient in the chamber but that it is not excessive.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby noxskuses » 19 May 2015, 10:18

Tiny wrote:how accurate do you think the temp guage is?

Hi Tiny, I tested mine by putting in several oven thermometers that I know are accurate & it is pretty much bang on. I also installed an additional thermometer in the lid so I know the temp up top when using a rack. I also use remote meat thermometers on all cooks. There are hot spots around the edge which is to be expected. Other things that I do is cover everything in foil, taped over the pellet fill sensor to stop that stupid noise, added oven rubber seals to the edge of the lid to make it a tight fit & also add a water pan below the grill when cooking. Hope that helps? :D
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 19 May 2015, 13:27

I had my pellet alarm replaced under warranty - the new one is much less sensitive!

Can you tell me the gasket kit you bought? I could do with that now the thermal cover is coming off for summer :D
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby noxskuses » 19 May 2015, 14:12

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First4spares-Un ... ubber+seal

Cut to length & it fits perfectly along the grove either side of the door opening & the bottom edge of the door. Used heat resistant sealant to attach it & two years later, it's still there minding the gap :D
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ParatusBBQ » 20 May 2015, 07:07

Has anyone heard of the brand TePro? They have a pellet grill for just over £400. There aren't any reviews. That has me cautious.
I think they are a german company, but that means nothing when it comes to BBQs.
ParatusBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby noxskuses » 20 May 2015, 07:56

Only £399 here > http://www.gardengiftshop.co.uk/acatalo ... An7w8P8HAQ

No reviews that I can find online, so a bit risky IMHO. I would pay extra & go with a GMG grill.
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 20 May 2015, 08:04

Know nothing about them, a quick search shows they're widely available in Germany and Amazon UK will sell you one for 455. It looks to have a Traeger type controller with lots of settings for smoke. I think it's just a basic generic pellet grill that's probably made in china using traeger specs.

Edit: I asked the question on a US site and they came back with Pit Boss820, here's a u tube vid about it, looks very similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL9BPE7yYBw
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby ParatusBBQ » 26 May 2015, 15:17

Well, I just ordered my DB. I am really excited!

Hopefully it will arrive for the weekend! Come rain or shine it will be being put to use! I got the rain cover too. Seeing as it always rains in the Northwest of England.

I have also just thought to order the lil devils pellets. Has anyone used them?

Also, what are the average costs to do say a Butt on it?
ParatusBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ParatusBBQ » 26 May 2015, 16:43

Hello again,

As I said before I have just bought the DB. Now, I have read about people powering the DB with a battery and inverter. What battery and inverters are you guys using? I am in the UK by the way.
ParatusBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ParatusBBQ » 07 Jun 2015, 18:55

So, i took the plunge with the DB. I love it. One thing that has thrown me is the grease tray. In the videos they are solid with one hole at the bottom to get rid of the fat. On mine which I am led to believe is an upgrade there are lots of holes. This poses a problem, do I foil over them to aid cleaning or do I just clean up? After one cook my drip trays were absolutely filth and I can't get them 100% clean. Will covering the holes stop smoke coming through?
ParatusBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to BBQ / Smoker Review