GMG - Daniel Boone

A forum for reviews of BBQ's & Smokers. Only mods and admins can create new topics here, but everyone else can reply. Opinions expressed here are those of the individual and are not representative of the BBBQS.

Re: GMG - Daniel Boone

Postby aris » 18 May 2015, 09:59

I had a look at the website - the Davy Crockett looks quite nice, albeit small - but an attractive price point (albeit there does appear to be a treasure-island premium compared to the US price - even taking VAT into account).

As someone who just cooks for friends and family (no competition) pork ribs are easy - just start them in the morning and they are ready for lunch - potentially even Beef ribs if I get an early start. Brisket and Pork butt - that's another story - it could potentially mean starting in the early hours of the morning - and tending the fire to make sure it doesn't go out overnight. Lots of stress. So in theory could do these in the Davy Crockett - and the rest in a pro-q or other.

Anyone used a davy crockett? Of course if it works as well as people are saying - I may well regret the purchase of this smaller grill :lol:
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby noxskuses » 18 May 2015, 10:06

aris wrote: I may well regret the purchase of this smaller grill :lol:

I can almost guarantee you will :)
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 18 May 2015, 11:50

noxskuses wrote:The official GMG Upper Rack for the DB costs £39 http://greenmountaingrills.co.uk/accessories

I used the front shelf kit, drilled a couple of holes and fixed it inside. It's almost the same size as the main grate and take it out when you don't need it and fold the support brackets in, it works good.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby smitty » 18 May 2015, 20:19

I wouldn't bother with the upper rack as it's not very deep, I bought the front shelf and mounted it internally as mentioned above
smitty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby wade » 19 May 2015, 05:59

I have the Davy Crockett and it is a great little additional smoker or if you are not trying to smoke too many things at once. I made a wire mezzanine rack for mine and can get 4 full racks of ribs in it, and it will comfortably smoke a 12 pound pork shoulder.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 19 May 2015, 06:35

Cheers - what combination of foods can you smoke on the Davey Crockett? A pork butt and a brisket? Smaller ones of course :-) H many racks or kg of ribs does it hold?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby wade » 19 May 2015, 06:54

I tried to post a photo but the board is apparently full and will not allow any more to be uploaded.
A 12 pound pork shoulder is fine and two moderate size briskets can be done by adding a mezzanine wire rack. Also using a wire rack or rib rack it is possible to do 4 full size racks of ribs. Space is limited though, so not so good if you want to cook a lot of things at once. Its real benefit is its temperature control. I usually use a data logger to monitor my smokes and when cooking my last pork shoulder I set the temperature at 225 F and it kept it within 5 F for 11 hours without needing any attention from me.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby noxskuses » 19 May 2015, 07:40

wade wrote:I set the temperature at 225 F and it kept it within 5 F for 11 hours without needing any attention from me.

And that is exactly why I love my GMG DB :D
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 19 May 2015, 07:56

Hi fellow GMG'ers,
One question for you, how accurate do you think the temp guage is? Reason I ask is when I cook stuff at the prescribed temp it always seems to take much longer than I expect, for instance did some meaty ribs on Saturday and they took a good 7 hours at 120 deg C , in fact for the last hour I racked it up to 150 deg to finish. not sure how you can check this......

Will be fine once I get used to it but wondered on other users experience,
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby derekmiller » 19 May 2015, 08:13

Uploading pictures:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4
derekmiller
Site Admin