New Lineup for the 2011 Competition Season

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

New Lineup for the 2011 Competition Season

Postby Steve » 22 Apr 2011, 22:23

After much thought over the close season, Neil and I decided to upgrade our kit for the 2011 season. We decided not to cook competitions on my Traeger as, even though I love cooking on it, with the 3-setting controller getting consistent temperatures is not possible and we like consistency when cooking comps :D

In the end we plumbed for 3 WSM's. Here's my two on their test burn today...

Have to say, I'm already fairly well acquainted with WSM's but actually, running one and recording it's behaviour today has blown me away. I didn't use the greatest bag of lump, but both babies have burned in the 250-260 range for over ten hours with minimal interaction :) I've just opened them up to burn off the rest of the fuel as there's loads left. I'm a very happy chap this evening :D

While I was at it I also picked up a new Weber kettle, my reasoning being, new house, new BBQ :lol:

Yes it's very blue, but wifey likes it.

Please also excuse the state of my garden in the photos, we've only been in the house 3 weeks and with a list as long as my arm of jobs to do, landscaping the garden and laying a new patio may take some time :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Lineup for the 2011 Competition Season

Postby bencops » 22 Apr 2011, 22:39

Are they the big wsms? Lovely.
bencops

Postby Steve » 22 Apr 2011, 22:52

No Ben, they're the 47cm ones. I considered getting one 47 and one 57 but after discussing with some WSM experts I know, I went for 2x 47's

I love them already. They've now been going 12 hours and for the last hour I've had them running fully open and they're chugging along at 315 and 320. Neither of my Pro Q's would have run for 12 hours, let alone manage to get up to 320 after such a long burn.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mcdodge » 23 Apr 2011, 07:55

I bloody love my WSM - it can do no wrong in my eyes! I'm sure you will be doing some awesome cooking!
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby bencops » 23 Apr 2011, 08:21

The big ones are massive, so I can understand that.

Are you running it with water or a clay tray in the pan? I tried running mine without water for the first time the other week, and had the bottom vents closed and was just "driving it off the top vent" as Adie says - the damn thing went out! Never again :)

I ran it from 6pm last night, topped it up with charcoal and water at 11pm, and again today at 8:30am. Its been 250-270 all that time with no nursing.
bencops

Postby Vic. » 23 Apr 2011, 10:44

those WSM's are smart looking pieces of kit :)
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 23 Apr 2011, 15:46

I'm all about the clay Ben. I had to run fully closed at the bottom and control on the top to keep it in the right range. It was empty, so I'm with 20lbs of meat on that won't be the case. I've cooked with them before, they run differently to the Pro Q's so who knows what our results will be like in May but I hope to all good by July :D

Already very glad I jumped over to the WSM ship.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrBlue » 23 Apr 2011, 20:02

Steve - they look AWESOME!!.................where did you get them from??
MrBlue
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BBQFanatic » 27 Apr 2011, 12:23

Yep I was suckered into it as well, thanks for the peer pressure boys. BBQ Fantics are now all WSM'd up

Bought from Garden & Leisure - £279 for unit, free cover and free 2 day delivery http://www.gardenandleisure.com/products/weber_smokey_mountain_cooker_47cm_.html. Im sure you could find it cheaper through wholesale or a bulk order, but this seemed to be a good deal.

Pro-Q has already been promised to some chums for a few sheets. I will miss her dearly, but the reality was that I never used the 2nd stacker, and was searching for consistency in my cooks which the WSM seems to offers. C'est la vie
BBQFanatic

Postby Steve » 27 Apr 2011, 12:48

I agree totally Cuan, the consistency just steps things up a level.

I'm donating my Pro Q to a mate who is keen to give proper BBQ a go, converting him from gas :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews