New Lineup for the 2011 Competition Season

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: New Lineup for the 2011 Competition Season

Postby Vic. » 05 May 2011, 17:35

Steve wrote:I agree totally Cuan, the consistency just steps things up a level.

I'm donating my Pro Q to a mate who is keen to give proper BBQ a go, converting him from gas :D

I might try a few lumps of charcoal in my frying pan (gas heated), just to see what happens ;) ....it might just keep the temps up longer. At the mo, the temps start dropping after 15-20mins once I cut the gas off.....and the price of gas at the mo :shock:.......

.......would charcoal impart flavour to the meat at the start of the cook like smoking wood, or would the end be good?.....has anyone any advice on this?
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby British BBQ Society » 05 May 2011, 17:50

gas smokers ike the old hickory use gas as a constant heat source and wood is added for flavor, not sure of your set up, but wouldnt recomend charcoal anywhere near a gas inlet.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vic. » 05 May 2011, 17:56

In the pic you don't see the frying pan, but it sits on top of the gas burner, I currently use the frying pan to burn the smoking wood.

Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby British BBQ Society » 05 May 2011, 18:24

The gas workings are all on the outside so there shouldnt be a problem (although i would completly disconect them first), so you use the burner to hold the frying pan and then place the waterbath above? if that is the case it will be working like a normal cabinet smoker, jacks old south etc
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vic. » 05 May 2011, 18:43

I have a fail safety device installed on the burner (FFD) which is outside the smoker and cuts off the gas if it goes out......would the food take on the flavour of the charcoal at the start of the cook, just like wood does or can it take it on at the end? The reason I ask is that I need the gas ring burning to light the charcoal?
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Vic. » 12 May 2011, 09:27

Just to add, on my last cook I added a small shovel of cheap charcoal on my frying pan, it took 1 hour to get lit but once I cut the gas off it stayed at 200F for slightly over an hour. Will definitely try this in my next cook, more charcoal on the pan and cut the gas off 2 hours before food needs to be done........hope to save money on gas and get used to charcoal :D
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby musicville » 01 Jun 2011, 16:27

+1 for the 47cm WSM i love mine the more I use it the more it amazes me with how well and how long it holds heat for i had pork on there for 11 hours with very little interaction, after i took it off it was still running the same temp (250) for the next 2 hours and very slowly dropped off after that.
musicville
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Barbecue Reviews