File cabinet smoker now finished

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

File cabinet smoker now finished

Postby Vic. » 02 Apr 2011, 12:13

here's some pics of my file cabinet smoker. Made a mild steel inner for it and insulated it with thermal rockwool. Inner is pop-riveted onto file cabinet, door fronts and backs are pop-riveted to each other. Gave it a good season with the gas burner up full, temps went off the scale 550F +, and the build and doors didn't warp :) phew..... filled in a few smoke leaks with chemical metal.

Temps are varying between 250-300F with the burner at the lowest setting and the drip tray filled with water. Better too hot than not ;) I can cover some of the burner holes If I need a real slow cook and blast her up high for a tandoori style cook

Happy its all over now the fun really starts :D

Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: File cabinet smoker now finished

Postby Vic. » 02 Apr 2011, 13:31

Hi Doc, what would you use to clean the inside, its pigging. I seasoned it with lard and oil and it has dripped everywhere and caked on the sides
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Vic. » 02 Apr 2011, 13:45

cheers, will try the spray oil ;)
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Vic. » 02 Apr 2011, 14:02

good man, are you O2. I've got load of free calls at the mo :lol: pm me if you are ;)

I've got a pork shoulder and a gammon in the fridge ready for smoking this weekend too :D
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Vic. » 03 Apr 2011, 11:55

gave it a good burn for 3 hrs last night, opened the doors this morning and the rope seal had stuck to the cabinet, caked hard as a rock :roll: :x .....will have to try pop-riveting the rope seal on instead of using glue.
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Vic. » 11 Apr 2011, 18:12

some photos of my new stove rope seal. It's higher grade as you've recommended Doc. I was sold cheap stuff at the start. :x ...This stuff is 14mm, has got a grey woven outer with a hard white inner. So far its working good. Glued using stovex adhesive using a small grove 4-5mm wide.

Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Barbecue Reviews