My Clone

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

My Clone

Postby All Weather Griller » 27 Mar 2011, 11:37

Hi All,

I'm sure you are all sick of me posting the images of the Jambo on here and some of you will already be aware of the current project which is a Stumps Clone.

Below are some of the pics that I have of it so far, I am hoping it will be ready for it's seasoning fire on Thursday evening with a view to testing a batch of ribs on Friday. The size isn't measured in conventional Inches and Millimeters etc I have opted for Shelves v Gastronorm Trays.

With that said what you are looking at is the Sherwood Smoker 6 x3 (R) (6 Shelves high by 3 Gastronorm 1:1 Containers wide, Firebox located to the Right) What this means is that it will be possible to sit 3 Gastronorm trays side by side in the smoker.

If the testing on this goes well, there are likely to be plans to create Sherwood Smokers 4 x 1, 4 x 2 in the R & L configs.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

This thing is huge and will be mounted on 10" Pneumatic Wheels.
All Weather Griller

Re: My Clone

Postby All Weather Griller » 27 Mar 2011, 12:11

No, it's some guys that are in the unit next to mine.

The chute is wider than the ones seen on line and I was going to have a transfer box at the bottom, but I opted against doing that as I will probably only use the uniform cocoshell briquettes.

We we're going to taper the chute but I didn't want to wait and having spoken with Scott he tells me that even with his tapered design it still bridges.

Like I say it is only a prototype so we'll see how it burns.
All Weather Griller

Postby All Weather Griller » 27 Mar 2011, 16:26

I have no idea Al to be honest. I'm not getting involved in the sales or pricing, happy to point people in their direction etc. The initial figures they discussed were around £2,200 for a 4 x 2, having been involved personally with mine, and knowing how much the labour is and parts etc I don't think there would be much in it for them at that price especially given the requirement and economies of scale.

Simple costs:

Exhaust Tips £24.00
Bullet Hinges £20.07
Hi Quality Stainless Steel Firebox and Chute Hinges £24
Insulation £97.06
Door Seals £26.00
Slam Latch £43.99
Ball Valves & Straight Throughs £75.00
Fire door latch £14.79
Chimney Latch £17.61
Wheels £60
Spray and Paint & Bake £275
All Weather Griller

Postby Vic. » 27 Mar 2011, 16:48

good solid looking build Adie. That design supposed to be very fuel efficient.

What gauge of mild steel are you using for the inner? I've made mine from 2mm, folded the doors using a crossbrake and I'm hoping I won't need any box section because of that.

Adie, I got adjustable latches and catches cheap from this firm. They're much stronger than some of the ones 2 or 3 times the price.

http://www.towingandtrailers.co.uk/shop ... /index.htm
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby All Weather Griller » 27 Mar 2011, 16:54

Thanks Vic,

Not sure what the sheet size is to be honest. I think it's 2mm, but I can find out during the week.
All Weather Griller

Postby All Weather Griller » 27 Mar 2011, 17:02

It's going to be Snap On tool box red with Polished Aluminium (Aluminum) checkerplate front door and trims down the seems.

I forgot to add the Tel Tru's for the doors, they were $60
All Weather Griller

Postby Vic. » 27 Mar 2011, 17:05

Adie, what rope seal did you go for, round or tadpole? I'm finding it hard to get the tadpole stuff here in N.Ireland.
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby All Weather Griller » 27 Mar 2011, 17:07

All Weather Griller

Postby Vic. » 27 Mar 2011, 17:12

cheers Adie. The biggest problem with building smokers is sourcing the parts :( They're a pain in the neck and this is my first build. You guys must have patience like a Saint :lol:
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby All Weather Griller » 27 Mar 2011, 17:19

LOL Vic,

I have been lucky with the guys that are close by me and their contacts.

Al,

I have a couple of Help the Heroes Events lined up later in the year, one in particular is close to my heart as it is in honour of my mates son Matthew Hatton, Killed in Sangin 2009 (http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/matthewhatton/4711456.Parents_of_fallen_Haxby_soldier_Matthew_Hatton_receive_Elizabeth_Cross/)

The Jambo is going to be my competition cooker and eye candy with the intention of promoting Q in the UK and hopefully helping Toby to get more people interested so that it will stand on it's own two feet and pay for itself and have enough for some good cash prizes (At the mo as you know Toby funds a lot of the comps fees from his own pocket).

The way I have planned it is that the main cooks will be done on the Clone, then Cambro'd to the event and finished off or just appear to have come off the Jambo. I'm under no illusion that the Jambo would be able to cook enough for some of the HtH events and I'm just building some capacity.

As I say that is the plan, it would be nice if it panned out that way.
All Weather Griller

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews