Sealant for smoker door

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Sealant for smoker door

Postby Vic. » 13 Feb 2011, 18:45

What do you guys use for sealant? I've been reading that silicon heat sealants are much better than traditional fiberglass rope seals as they hold the heat better.

What's your opinions on 'Red Devil Industrial Grade Heat Resistant Rtv Silicone Sealant'

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-Industr ... B000H5Q5VG

description
When fully cured withstands -85 deg. to 600 deg. F (intermittent). Apply at 10 to 100 deg. F. Seals oven belts, heating elements in appliances, flanged pipe joints, fired heaters, access doors and drying ovens. For porcelain, ceramic, glass, marble, fiberglass, painted surfaces, non-oily surfaces and most metals. Resists cracking, shrinking, peeling and vibration. WIthstands +25% joint movement. Waterproof and weatherproof. Red. UL listed. Meets military spec MIL-A-46106A. Meets FDA regulation No. 21 CFR 1772600 when fully cured and washed. Authorized by USDA for use in federally inspected meat and poultry plants.
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Sealant for smoker door

Postby Vic. » 13 Feb 2011, 19:22

Good man.

I was thinking of tracking a small groove around the door, just to give extra hold for the silicon. A groove should aid the adhesion process.
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Vic. » 17 Feb 2011, 10:58

found another silicon sealant for ovens, it sell in the UK.

http://www.absealants.co.uk/product_10- ... Repair.htm
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Vic. » 17 Feb 2011, 13:45

Am I mad using silicon for the door seal or should I use the tried and tested method of rope seal?

Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby dajamjar » 15 Apr 2011, 12:28

This may be a pretty daft question, but when going with the silicone would you apply a bead, close the door to form the shape of the seal and then open it again to ensure it doesnt bond?

The ProQ has a lot of good points about it (not least because i have 4 stackers in the garage) but the fit and finish leaves something to be desired, so i'm planning to try and plug the doors this weekend if i can.

Jamie.
dajamjar
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vic. » 15 Apr 2011, 13:16

some advice on this thread James ;)

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=869

I would use sellotape to mate the silicon onto. need to try a bit first just incase it sticks to the sellotape
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Barbecue Reviews