Using Pro Q as substitute for Weber kettle

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Using Pro Q as substitute for Weber kettle

Postby philnewts » 08 Feb 2011, 10:00

Hi

Rather than buy a separate Weber Kettle for direct grilling, I thought I could use the Pro Q without any stackers and without the water pan.

The problem is that it is then very low to cook over and also would I need to place a charcoal grate or use the fire basket?

Any ideas on how best to use this method and raise the cooker up to waist height.

I like the idea of having two zone cooking for quicker grilling and "British" BBQ. Instead of low and slow.

Thanks
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Using Pro Q as substitute for Weber kettle

Postby Swindon_Ed » 08 Feb 2011, 10:24

Go to Wickes or someone like that and buy some breeze blocks as they should be fine with the heat and give you a stable platform to raise the bottom of the ProQ with.
Swindon_Ed

Postby philnewts » 10 Feb 2011, 08:07

Thanks for your replies. I will give the breeze blocks a try or a metal table. Do you think there will be a way to build a stand?
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 10 Feb 2011, 10:40

If you're not careful, you'll find yourself spending (taking both time and money into account) more than a new Weber Compact would cost, which is about 50-60 quid.

The only real problem with the Compact is the shallowness of the dome (hence compact). However, if all you want it for is grilling, I'd suggest it is ideal to complement your ProQ.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 10 Feb 2011, 10:55

I'd just hit up eBay for a Weber kettle. Mine cost £20 :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ticktick » 27 Apr 2011, 13:13

See if it will fit into an old oil drum (if you take the feet off). Or maybe cut oil drum to accomodate the base of the Pro Q
ticktick
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 27 Apr 2011, 13:38

I don't know the Pro Q at all, apart from seeing pictures online.

But is it not possible to use it with all the stackers, but put the charcoal basket higher up, perhaps sitting on the cooking grate of the middle stack, which would put it directly under the cooking grate of the top stack?

Or would this make the thing top heavy, or run the risk of damaging something in the stackers?
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Barbecue Reviews