New toys arrived

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: New toys arrived

Postby All Weather Griller » 14 Jan 2011, 13:01

Leave that on the Patio and get yourself a J5 from jamie Geer. :lol:
All Weather Griller

Postby joker smoker » 14 Jan 2011, 13:37

A luton van with a tail lift works just fine
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 14 Jan 2011, 19:25

DrSweetsmoke wrote:How about going with taller and thinner tires on the rear? You could always build a wider ramp for the trailor. Im curious as to what trailer you are going to be using, i would be afraid that if the ramp with it is to narrow then the trailor may not be ideal for taking the load safely. The more and better pictures you can give us the easier it is ta come up with some solutions.

I'm hoping to use the trailer I already have Al but where I have installed kitchen units the remaining width is about 3 inches short with the existing wheels.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 14 Jan 2011, 22:28

Al,

Scotts trailer is almost identical to mine with the exception of the Wheel arches on mine are inside the trailer and Scotts are outside. Size and layout wise it's pretty much the same.

Cheers
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 14 Jan 2011, 22:29

Yes it's a mobile kitchen - sorry Al I thought you had seen it. It's the same as Adie's. There is a couple of feet to the back and front spare. I intend to use some ramps I have seen on eBay to load it.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 15 Jan 2011, 14:02

Ok - I'm leaning towards shortening the legs and fitting castors on all 4 corners. When you look at other similar cookers ( stumps, gator,pitmaker etc) they all seem to have small castors. Would they be better or say 8" pneumatic tyres?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby smokinjim » 16 Jan 2011, 15:00

How about something along these lines. This is what I used on my Stump clone and it works very well. My cooker is over 500lbs (225kg) and I am able to pull it into my trailer (ramp rear door) by myself but is easier with at least the help of one other person. I had originally had swivel casters on the front and removed in favor of solid legs. I then installed a hitch receiver to allow a draw bar to be installed (and removed when not needed). Then all you would need is a "dolly" with a handle to hook up to the hitch, raising the front legs and pull. My cooker is 24" (61cm) wide and the fixed wheels make it a little wider. You could mount wheels directly behind the cooker to keep the overall width down. Then the dolly you would build to the size required. One of the reasons I went with the solid legs was while transporting in the trailer there was a tendency to move. After changing it was much more difficult to have any movement. This cooker was strapped to anchors on the floor and one wall of the trailer. I hope the pictures help you with my explanation.

New front legs.

Receiver with draw bar inserted.

Dolly inserted and legs raised off the ground. This dolly is used for moving around larger trailers and if I were to be using this cooker all the time I would build a custom dolly with a much narrower wheel base.
smokinjim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 16 Jan 2011, 18:33

Nice idea Jim.

Did you build your own stumps clone?
All Weather Griller

Postby All Weather Griller » 16 Jan 2011, 18:59

I don't think they are standard items.

I'll find out next week what I get with it. Jamie should have it back. Just need the temp in Texas to improve, it's hampered some of Stubbys work.
All Weather Griller

Postby smokinjim » 16 Jan 2011, 21:26

Yes I built my Stump clone. I believe it was the first clone built. I actually phoned Stump and told him that I was planning on building it and he had no problem with that. He knew there was no fear of me competing with his production. :) Over the last few years I and a number of PBBQA forum members have built and helped to build quite a number of clones.
smokinjim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews