New toys arrived

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: New toys arrived

Postby esselle » 11 Jan 2011, 09:50

Brainstorming session.....anyone's advice welcomed.
The wheels on the Superior are too wide. Not only for getting it on to my existing trailer, but also to go around the side of the house. As things stand to take her on a competition I will have to remove the gate and it's posts to get in and out.
The existing wheels can be removed easily enough. That done it will go round the house and into the trailer no problem. But I obviously need to move her....all 600lbs of her! So can't just pick it up. A quick look around on the U.S. forums and on the Superior forum one guy has fitted different wheels. Trouble is that would mean taking the legs off, because if I fit castor type wheels to the bottom of the legs it would make it a bit too high. I may go with the option of removing the legs and fitting big pneumatic tyre castors. But before I do has anyone else got any other ideas. Does anyone know of anything like a car dolly/jack or any other option for me to consider.
Thanks in advance.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 14 Jan 2011, 07:15

Cheers Al

wheels as is

esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 14 Jan 2011, 07:19

Here's what someone else has done

I am leaning towards 4 castors and doing away with the legs and original wheels.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 14 Jan 2011, 07:51

JTOL, What about creating a couple of rolling chassis for it. You have a small narrow one for moving around at home and then build a sturdy one with a couple of decent tyres on it for the competitions. It would mean having to lift the main chamber from one chassis to the other. But the chassis would be independent and would allow you different configurations.
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 14 Jan 2011, 08:04

I can't picture it Adie can you explain a bit more in idiot terms :oops:
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 14 Jan 2011, 08:15

I'll try...

If you build a small square frame with the top of the frame using angle iron, you could put castors on the bottom to allow you to wheel it around the house and on the patio. I'm trying to find an image but this is the best I can find http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 29,r:3,s:0

The second frame would be a larger and more rugged, for use on grass, perhaps using the existing wheels you have and wide for better stability.

You could use door latches similiar to what is on it now to secure it to the frame and then change depending on your need.
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 14 Jan 2011, 08:41

Oh right ok ...got you now. Cheers mate.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 14 Jan 2011, 10:01

A small one like this for home and the trailer and then a larger, wider one with the small aircraft wheels you have was my thoughtss
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 14 Jan 2011, 10:37

What will those small castors be like over 'not so smooth' ground though. Also going up and down ramps onto the trailer?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 14 Jan 2011, 10:40

DrSweetsmoke wrote:
What is the weight of the cooker? As you know there are trolleys designed to move industrial machinery, these are low profile and can take 3 tonne and up. The issue there is rolling the cooker in real world outdoor situations, these would be too low profile to get the job done but around the home would be easy.

*****How about this all around solution.
Mount four heavy duty castors under the cooker then add two large wheels to the rear of the cooker but not touching the ground. Now add a 'pull bar' or handle to the top rear of the cooker. At this point you will be able to simply tilt the cooker back ( the big wheels will now touch the ground carrying the load) and move here where you need it to be just like a fridge on a dolly (hand truck). This should make it much easier getting it up into your trailer AND through that tight space beside your home.
BONUS the additional real wheels could be mounted with slip pins thus easily removed in seconds so that the heat from your firebox doesn't melt them.

Cooker weighs 525lbs.
Your all round solution is not far off how the cooker is now. It has a pull bar and the rear wheels don't touch the floor until you tilt it back to move. Also the rear wheels are mounted on a split pin.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews