La Hacienda Kamado (Request for Comments…)

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

La Hacienda Kamado (Request for Comments…)

Postby ChopperHarris » 26 Apr 2014, 16:42

Hi all, does anyone have any experience or know of any reviews on the web for the La Hacienda Kamado cooker? I haven't managed to find much background information.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hacienda-Kama ... 61da06f9c5

It seems to be pretty competitively priced when compared to the more recognised brands and I'm wondering whether it's worth consideration or better to avoid. Basically, pretty competitive still equals a lot of money to regret spending!
ChopperHarris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: La Hacienda Kamado (Request for Comments…)

Postby fergburger » 06 May 2014, 12:14

Hi, this is the kamado I have and I also purchased it from eBay from La Hacienda. They are rebadged auplex kamados - http://www.auplexkamado.com. You can also find a few youtube videos of them testing them showing the durability. If you've ever see the Costco Vision Classic Kamado this is also the same BBQ.

Mines was a seconds one and I managed to get it for £300 on a best offer - Its worth that however I wouldnt pay full price (£600) for one for the following reasons -

- Despite keeping it covered the cast iron top rusted straight away (Oiling it fixed this)
- All the nuts are not stainless steel or at least decent stainless as they also rusted up straight away (Cheap enough to replace though)
- The Nest stand has rusted up and doesnt look too safe, Id imagine it will only last a few years outside (Planning on replacing with a table)
- La Hacienda dont sell the heat deflector although you can use a pizza stone instead
- The lower vent isnt fitted very well, you can make it more airtight with a bit silicone (Lots of thread over the web of people having done this to their Costco Vision)

Positives however are that it works great and is essentially the same as the BGE and the Kamado Joe. If you can get a decent looking seconds one (they come up quite a bit) id go for it however if you were looking at £600 Id spend the extra and get one of the brands.

I had a few issues when purchasing with missing wrong parts however and La Hacienda were pretty good at sorting it out even although I purchased through eBay.

Theres also an auplex re-seller in Holland who are re-badging them and selling them on. They have the full range of auplex accesories too which may be handy. I'll not put the name of them here as it wouldnt be considered very PC here in the UK! Google Netherlands Kamado and you'll probably find them. Be prepared for a shock at the name.
fergburger
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: La Hacienda Kamado (Request for Comments…)

Postby ChopperHarris » 06 May 2014, 17:48

Thanks for that - it's good information. Having read your blog, I'd wondered if yours was one of them.

In the end I've gone for a decent Kettle Barbecue instead - I'd more or less decided that, if I was going for a Kamado, it would have to be a Joe with a decent accessory pack, which pushed it north of £750 and I struggled to justify it to my wife. She doesn't quite understand the necessity of these things!

Hopefully your post will end up being tracked by Google and provide some useful info to other people looking for it.
ChopperHarris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Barbecue Reviews