eBay smoker

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: eBay smoker

Postby British BBQ Society » 16 Sep 2010, 21:35

I started life with a Brinkmann smoke and pit, then bought a WSM which ended up as a fire pit after a party, never to be seen again. Love the Brinkmann to bits then moved on to pellets with a Traeger, either way I get the same result with the food, charcoal or pellets, infact I enjoyed cooking on the Brinkmann more.

I have cooked on the pro q many times, and it is a great piece of kit, I know the latest version is now porcelain coated (not that it makes any difference) shame they didnt make the other improvements suggested by their resellers but maybe in version 3.

I think I would generally go for an offset over bullet, but its a personal choice, it doesnt help that there isnt a decent manufacturer in the UK, I owned a chargriller for approx 2 weeks before giving it away, too many gaps and really poor build quality, infact i emailed the supplier video of the excessive smoke escaping from it, at the end of the day if you spend a few hundred pounds on a BBQ you dont want to be told to fill the gaps with foil!!

Just my tuppence......
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 17 Sep 2010, 09:06

I own a couple of bullets, a Uds and a small Traeger. Only just got the Traeger but am loving it. Am currently talking with Spicewine about the possibility of importing a cabinet too. I think most people on here use bullets because they're a cost effective smoker and there's not that many good offsets easily available in the UK. Each of my cookers does a great job, I use different ones in different circumstances.

Just a note for you, I can cook brisket and pork butt on an excel without having to refuel.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 17 Sep 2010, 13:24

Steve wrote:I own a couple of bullets, a Uds and a small Traeger. Only just got the Traeger but am loving it. Am currently talking with Spicewine about the possibility of importing a cabinet too. I think most people on here use bullets because they're a cost effective smoker and there's not that many good offsets easily available in the UK. Each of my cookers does a great job, I use different ones in different circumstances.

Just a note for you, I can cook brisket and pork butt on an excel without having to refuel.

I would love a cabinet smoker too, but we just don't have the choice like they do in the states. Keep us posted on your importing progress Steve
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tucker » 17 Sep 2010, 13:43

Wow do you fill your charcoal basket up to the top?

I like the idea of getting a lil' Tex however the price puts me off and does it still give you that authentic taste?
Tucker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 17 Sep 2010, 16:01

Tucker,

I have 2 offset smokers and an Excel 20. The Excel gets most use because it holds temperature better and longer. True, it is easier to add charcoal to the offsets, but you have to do it a lot more often. I can easily get 6 hours of constant temperature from the Excel. When the temp starts to drop, I just remove the stackers and add unlit charcoal. It is usually back up to temperature within 15 minutes.

I do like the offsets when doing larger amounts of meat and when I have the time to watch them more closely. An offset will never be as airtight as a ProQ or a WSM unless you are paying REALLY big bucks (or pounds) for it.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby Steve » 17 Sep 2010, 17:37

Tucker,

I do minion method with restaurant grade lump and a clay saucer instead of water. I pack it really tight and only light about 4-6 lumps in a chimney. I can hold 250-260 for over 7 hours as long as I keep it out of the wind and the outside temperature is not too cold.

Scott,

Will let you know what Jay comes back with, he's already told me he can arrange shipping for about $800. So a large Spicewine is expensive, but it's comparable to an FEC in total price. If I had more than one cooker shipped it would be cheaper, so if you are interested in making a big investment, let me know.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tucker » 17 Sep 2010, 18:08

Clay saucer?

So you don't put any water in the Water pan just a clay sucer?

Does the food not dry out?
Tucker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 17 Sep 2010, 18:39

Yup, I use a terracotta saucer, like the type used at the bottom of plant pots. I use a big one, takes up the whole water pan.

Water in the water pan does very little to keep the food moist in my opinion. Offsets don't have water pans, neither do pellet cookers, all the water is doing is acting as a heat sink, sand or a saucer does the same thing. I stopped using water a year or so ago, Adie is a clay saucer man too.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 17 Sep 2010, 19:13

I'll be trying 'the saucer' for the first time tomorrow
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 17 Sep 2010, 19:45

And you'll never look back :lol: