eBay smoker

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: eBay smoker

Postby Tucker » 15 Sep 2010, 19:03

What thickness of steel would make a good offset?

2mm?
3mm?
4mm?
Tucker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 15 Sep 2010, 19:15

In the top end offsets like Klose pits you're looking at 1/4" steel for the main body and potentially can be upgraded to 1/2" steel for the firebox. But that's some serious equipment.

I think 1/8" (3mm) is probably ok, that's fairly thick.

I think John's Cactus Jack is 1/4" steel all round and that's a lurverly offset.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tucker » 15 Sep 2010, 19:47

What does everyone think of this smoker?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Smoker-BBQ-GRILLW ... 4163wt_706
Tucker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby joker smoker » 15 Sep 2010, 19:59

This would be ideal but you'd want to add a firebox........http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brinkman-smoker-b ... 19bf6d67ca
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby joker smoker » 15 Sep 2010, 20:05

sorry...and a chimney...but you should be able to do that with 6mm steel for under £75 if you visit a scrapyard and get friends rates on the welding
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tucker » 16 Sep 2010, 18:06

On this occasion I didn't want to make the smoker just wanted to purchase one that had already been built.

However I had already looked at that smoker and if it had a firebox and chimney would have snapped it up :)

Does anyone know if you get a better result from you smoking with an offset over something like the ProQ?
Tucker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 16 Sep 2010, 19:37

Opinions will vary on that one. You can get great results with either, there's pros and cons to both, but I think you'll find the food that comes off either is just as good as long as you know how to use the cooker.

Have you considered a Traeger if you want something that's convenient and easy? Worth thinking about for sure. If that's not your bag, you could consider a ceramic cooker like a Kamado Joe.

I can't remember why you wanted another cooker was it just extra capacity or did you want to try another style?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tucker » 16 Sep 2010, 20:02

I've got the proQ Excel which I love however when doing a long smoke I get fed up trying to get new coals in the bottom.

I saw the offsets and felt like giving them a go, as I thought they looked easier to get new coals into.
Tucker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 16 Sep 2010, 20:26

Hey Tucker, hope I'm not preaching to the converted here but... the cool thing about the excel is you can clip all the cooking sections together, lift them off using gloves and feed the fire direct. Then simply place the stackers back on. Total time about 30 secs.

Beerz

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby Tucker » 16 Sep 2010, 20:44

Don't get me wrong, I love my ProQ, just felt like giving another smoker a go as well, I would never get rid of it as it's so easy to use and control.

When I've more peole over and need more cooking space I thought a offset would be a good alternative.

Do many people own offsets out there or are most people using bullet smokers now?
Tucker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews