which bbq to buy??

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

which bbq to buy??

Postby Anniemaca » 05 Jun 2013, 13:04

Hi all
I'm new here so hope I am not going over old ground, but I am stumped as to which bbq type and maker to go for. I have had an Outback gas for a few years and it has been brilliant, but now wish to go up to a 4 burner with side burner but am stuck as to which manufacturer is best. I'm also used to having lava rock in the bbq to disperse the flames and stop burning/flare ups, but most bbq's I have looked at don't seem to have them anymore, is this good or bad?? A friend paid over £2000 for bbq without lava rock and everything gets burnt on the outside and is raw on the inside due to constant flare ups, even on the lowest setting.

I hope someone out there can help with some advice and opinions, I look forward to hearing your views.
thanks
Anne
Anniemaca
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: which bbq to buy??

Postby PeanutZA » 05 Jun 2013, 15:13

We need an intervention

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
PeanutZA
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 05 Jun 2013, 15:19

Sorry to sound like a cliche but what do you want to do. Have a look at Steve Raichlins various websites (bbq-u) he shows numerous grills, smokers and charcoal bbqs in his vids so you would get some idea of the merits of each type.

Then comes the dreaded four letter word "cost" All I will say on that is if you buy cheap you generally buy often. Decide what sort of cooking you really want to do, check out the websites & youtube as a lot of manufacturers have promo vids then when you've narrowed it down check and see if anyone here has one and what their thoughts are.

The only thing I'd say for certain is steer clear of "celebrity endorsed" products UNLESS you know they are BBQ savvy.
keith157

Postby Toby » 06 Jun 2013, 03:35

If the BBQ is being used properly there is no reason why the food should be charred at all. A multi burner with a lid will suit anyones needs. All you need to remember is leave yourself a cool area, ie leave one burner off. Once you have colour on your food move it to the area without any direct heat and close the lid, it will finish cooking without getting killed. Its a common misconception that you need to have your food directly over the heat the whole time to cook it.

As to manufacturers............. you have the more recognised brands such as weber, napoleon, swiss grill. then you have the OMC group which includes Broil King, Sterling. they are all good and to be honest all very similar. As Keith mentioned avoid celebrity endorsed, i say this more to do with the support you will get if something goes wrong. The most important thing is to get down to a BBQ shop or garden center and have a feel. Also dont be afraid to ask for a discount!

If you want to buy online i recommend www.socal.co.uk if you see something you like give them a call, speak to charles and say toby form the British BBQ Society said you will probably do me a deal..........
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cosd » 12 Aug 2013, 07:41

Anniemaca wrote:Hi all
I'm new here so hope I am not going over old ground, but I am stumped as to which bbq type and maker to go for. I have had an Outback gas for a few years and it has been brilliant, but now wish to go up to a 4 burner with side burner but am stuck as to which manufacturer is best. I'm also used to having lava rock in the bbq to disperse the flames and stop burning/flare ups, but most bbq's I have looked at don't seem to have them anymore, is this good or bad?? A friend paid over £2000 for bbq without lava rock and everything gets burnt on the outside and is raw on the inside due to constant flare ups, even on the lowest setting.

I hope someone out there can help with some advice and opinions, I look forward to hearing your views.
thanks
Anne

Hi Anne
I'm no expert to gas BBQ's but having just been through the minefield of BBQ's I eventauly opted for a Napoleon LE2. The build quality seems very good (10 year warranty), and you get more for your money than you do with Weber.

I initially called a company called BedsBBQ enquiring about a Swiss Grill. The guys there gave me loads of advice and spent time finding the right BBQ for me. Being these things aren't cheap, I wanted to ensure I was getting something that will last.

Having got the BBQ and set it up, the machine is very well constructed. It weighs a staggering 81kg, so no light weight. As an accessory I also bought the charcoal tray which converts half of the cooking area to charcoal. That alone tells me the cook box is decent quality because the heat given off charcoal is so much hotter than gas that most BBQ's just wouldn't cope.

Comparing it to what I thought was the equivilant Weber (Genesis), the output on the Napoleon is 75700BTU against the Webers' 42,000BTU. The Weber still cost more than the Napoleon. Of course I'm not saying Weber is not a decent bit of kit, but for me the Napoleon offered more for your buck.

These guys know their stuff and they were very confident selling me the Napoleon so that made my mind up.

Hope this helps a little.

Cos
Cosd
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby aris » 12 Aug 2013, 16:43

Check out Costco.co.uk. Thy sell Swiss grills and have one end of season deals. If you are not a Costco member, they add on 5%.

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk ... 3.1/155885
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Barbecue Reviews