Grill Grate Review

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Grill Grate Review

Postby Swindon_Ed » 12 Mar 2013, 19:28

I’ve wanted a set of Grillgrates for the last couple of years but never got round to ordering any and going through the hassle and additional cost of importing them myself, so when I saw that a new company in the UK had started selling them I knew I had to get some and give them a try.

Now I know that you can get good results grilling using cast iron grates on a charcoal grill but they’re quite a bit more expensive and also require quite a lot of maintenance which I’m too lazy to do. The other good thing with these Grillgrates is that they can also be used with gas & pellet cookers which you normally cannot get good grill marks with as they won’t get hot enough.

So I decided I would give the Grillgrates a good work out so I covered all of the major food groups (meat, veg, bacon, donut & pizza)

So i started off cooking some veg to see if it made any difference to how they normally cook on the grill.

They cooked really well and one thing that I wasn’t expecting was how good the grillgrate tool was for picking everything up and even when the onions broke up I was able to still turn them over and get them off the grill without them falling through the grill directly onto the coals.

Next up Steak!!!

For this test I just used a cheap piece of rump rubbed with a 50/50 mix of salt & black pepper with a bit of garlic powder, dried thyme & rosemary added for extra flavour.

Fantastic Grillmarks and really tasty steak.

Next up chicken.

Just rubbed this in a Piri Piri mix that I’ve got and on it goes

Again coming off with some great grill marks

Now it’s donut time!!!
Cut a Krispy Kreme glazed donut in half and then place face down directly on the grill.

Then add some bacon to middle and then you’ve got a fantastic sandwich.

So now it’s time to cook the pizza. We didn’t make our own base for this I just upgraded a shop bought one by adding steak, chicken, veg, cheese & bbq sauce.

This didn’t work out to well, although the taste of the pizza toppings was great the base got burnt, but I think this could be down to the fact my temp’s were dropping where I’d already been cooking for a while, and using a shop bought pizza base instead of fresh, so I will need to try this again.

Now for dessert… Donut s’mores anyone???

Cut the donut in half and then add marshmallows & a bit of chocolate then place them on the grill to toast the inside of the donut.

Once grilled and you seem the marshmallow melting put the two donut sides together to make sandwich.

These were awesome, not much more I can say about them other than try them for yourself.

A couple of weeks later i got myself some Wagyu rib eye steaks and cooked them up using the grill grates and these too were awesome, defiantly one to repeat.

All in all I’m very happy with the Grillgrates, defiantly a good additional to my BBQ kit.
Swindon_Ed

Re: Grill Grate Review

Postby Nick » 14 Mar 2013, 09:40

I'm having heart palpatations just looking at this! Looks delicious! :lol:
Nick
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Barbecue Reviews