budget UDS

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

budget UDS

Postby easy now andy » 14 Jul 2012, 14:42

been collecting bits and bobs over the last couple of months for my UDS. made a start today by drilling a couple of holes where the lover vent will be fitted and having a f-off big fire with some scrap timber i got hold of. forecast is dry tomorrow so i'll be cleaning the drum up with the angle grinder and flap discs, fitting the handles and vents and welding up a tray with casters for moving it about on.

it's going to have a single removable grill for ribs and large cuts that can be swapped out for three rails for hanging home made sausages from. i'm on the lookout for a decent kielbasa recipe if anyone's got one :)
easy now andy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: budget UDS

Postby aris » 14 Jul 2012, 16:20

Where did you get your barrel?

Is it one of those food grade ones which is lacquered inside? If so, did burning it out like that clean all that up?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby easy now andy » 15 Jul 2012, 15:29

aris wrote:Where did you get your barrel?

Is it one of those food grade ones which is lacquered inside? If so, did burning it out like that clean all that up?

it was more like a thick red oxide primer. that fire took the paint off the outside so it must have been hot. what was left on the inside was like a rusty coloured dust, which came off with soap and water.

easy now andy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BigG » 17 Jul 2012, 10:22

Looking good so far, Looking forward to seeing her finished ;) Inside will be fine after a wipe over with some veg oil on a cloth, might like to see :
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1834&p=14921&hilit=UDs+barrel+paint+liner#p14921

G
BigG
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby easy now andy » 17 Jul 2012, 17:26

BigG wrote:Looking good so far, Looking forward to seeing her finished ;) Inside will be fine after a wipe over with some veg oil on a cloth, might like to see :
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1834&p=14921&hilit=UDs+barrel+paint+liner#p14921

G

cheers g! the plan is so oil and season anyway but that's certainly piece of mind. :)
easy now andy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby easy now andy » 22 Jul 2012, 19:21

had a result with the firebasket. got hold of a chromed shopping basket, cut and shut it to be square. welded the handle on and jobs a good 'un. made a frame with castors for the drum to sit in and also cut a few M8 nuts in half and welded them in to support the rails for hanging sausages from. they also allow me to support the grill in a higher position.

easy now andy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby easy now andy » 05 Aug 2012, 11:34

the showers held off for long enough for me to mask up and give it a couple of coats of bbq paint. i just need to find a cheap baking tray to use for the ash catch tray and then season the inside with veg oil before doing a dry run to get the temp set ok.

speaking of temperature, my chinese k-type probe arrived. £3.70 delivered (!) from ebay. :D

easy now andy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 05 Aug 2012, 13:29

ASDA's often have roasting tins a £1 each if that's cheap enough :D
keith157

Postby easy now andy » 05 Aug 2012, 18:54

keith157 wrote:ASDA's often have roasting tins a £1 each if that's cheap enough :D

i bought a new one for the kitchen and relegated the old one. :D

so i rubbed down the inside of the drum with veg oil and then loaded 5kg of briquettes into the basket. got it going with a blow torch and then placed it into the drum. it peaked around 400f and then i shut the vents and it dropped down to a constant 300f. i know this is too high but i didn't use the minion method as it was just a dry run to heat cycle the unit and season it.

i guess next time i'll do 4.5kg in the basket and drop 0.5kg of lit coals on top? what's the preferred UDS minion method?

easy now andy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BigG » 05 Aug 2012, 19:01

Congratulations on the UDS. Looks great. Had a pork butt in mine today. I use a big catering size baked bean can with the top and bottom cut off and surround it with charcoal and pour my lit coals in the tin then lift it out with pliers leaving my fire neatly in the centre.
BigG
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Barbecue Reviews