New Boy's UDS

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

New Boy's UDS

Postby stretchie_ » 10 Jul 2012, 10:23

Hi just joined, I've put a post in the introduce yourself area.

Thought I'd show my UDS, it's a bit rough, I have hinges for the lid and at the moment the lid does not sit flush but it'll go at 115c-125c for over 12 hours on 10kg of briquettes, hoping it'll do more when I've tidied it up a bit

And I bought a Weber chimney starter to help me out getting it going, it's a great tool

Looking forward to become proficient at using it, I suppose I'll just have to keep practicing eh

; )
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: New Boy's UDS

Postby keith157 » 10 Jul 2012, 10:37

It works, congratulations :D the prettifying can come later ;)
Oh and welcome there are, as I'm sure you are aware lots of users and builders of similar somkers on here :D
keith157

Postby aris » 10 Jul 2012, 10:40

I want to make the same thing - could you tell me where you got your barrel, and what other bits you sourced to finish this unit?

I see a lit (looks like a weber kettle - which I actually have :-)

And a valve at the bottom - and a thermometer. What about the insides?

I managed to find a barrel on eBay for a reasonable cost - but it has a plastic lining inside. I'm sure I can burn this out - if you had to go through this step, please share your experience with me.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby stretchie_ » 10 Jul 2012, 11:10

Here you go, I did a quick write up of the build for someone it's got pictures and rough prices (I think you may need to add VAT fro the pipe bits).

The various parts for the pipes I got from my local steel merchants (Devizes steel) so have a look around or google for yours, I found this a much better place for these parts than a DIY store.

I got the barrel for free, just ring around as many garages and friends as you can and you may find one. Mine had engine oil in and was kindly given to me by a local bike garage, I had asked him about a year ago about barrels and he said I can have the barrels if I want but it takes them a long time to go through them so just keep ringing every now and then to check if one's nearly empty.

I think the one you mentioned with a plastic coating is a food barrel and as far as I can tell the lid on those is easily removable with an attached clamp which means you can re-use it as a lid for the smoker, whereas mine had to be cut out.

** EDIT **

Just found out I cannot attach a .pdf file for you. I have uploaded the instructions to here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lndnbdgkom2h ... w%20To.pdf

Feel free to download them, I'm not going to win a Pulitzer but it should get you there.
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 10 Jul 2012, 11:12

You can't attach a file, but if you used a web based storage site you're welcome to post the link to that :D
keith157

Postby aris » 10 Jul 2012, 11:16

Upload it to www.filehosting.org - then give us the link :)
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby stretchie_ » 10 Jul 2012, 11:19

Oops, cheers guys, you posted while I was editing above. Let me know if the link works or not, I'm not used to using it.

** EDIT **

I should add that since then I welded another 75mm bolt to the bottom of each of the fire basket legs to make it stand taller. I found that there was too much ash after a long burn which I think was suffocating the coals.

I tried lumpwood in it but it just fell through the grates so I have been using briquettes from ASDA, £5 for 5KG, I think on my last attempt a 5kg bag went for 7 hours.

Of the very few burns I have done, when doing a big one I've used 10kg of briquettes, I fill the Chimney starter 3/4 and light, and pour the rest into the charcoal basket.

Once the top layer of coals in the starter is ashen (around 30 mins) I make sure the caps on the rear two pipes are removed and open the ball valve completely and pour the coals in the starter on top of the other coals in the basket and leave the lid off the smoker. Then I just wait for about 10 minutes until the coals in the basket have caught, cap the two rear pipes off put the lid on and close the ball valve to about 1/4 open and just keep checking over the next 20-30 mins opening and closing the ball valve (but usually 1/4 open does it) until it settles at 115c-125c and then bang the food on.

But I'm looking forward on learning how to do this properly, it's just been trial and error so far, I'm not even sure what to do with the smoke chips, the first few times I soaked them and threw them right on the coals, I've tried wrapping them in foil and even welded up a little H shape that sits on top of the coal basket and used an old roasting tin with water in it and the chips in that but so far I am preferring the chips directly on the coals.
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby aris » 10 Jul 2012, 12:16

Thats real helpful and gives me some good ideas.

Has anyone had to burn off a barrel with a plastic lining inside?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Stuarty84 » 17 Aug 2013, 12:01

This is a great post stetchie cheers mate! I'm having a good read at your "How to" guide. Very helpful!
Stuarty84
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby stretchie_ » 19 Aug 2013, 15:08

Good, I hope it helps out matey
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Barbecue Reviews