Butchers Knife & Pot

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Butchers Knife & Pot

Postby stephenjedward » 27 Jun 2012, 08:51

Hi there, a couple of items i'm interested in

1. a decent butchers knife - the kind of 'scimitar' knife that can be used at the grill as a tool to turn/test meat as well as at the chopping block.. (think BBQ pit Boys !)

2. a cast iron pot , 8-10" that I can warm beans etc. on the grill with lid closed.

any recommnedations?
stephenjedward
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Butchers Knife & Pot

Postby keith157 » 27 Jun 2012, 08:57

Nisbets do reasonably decent knifes, but you won't get a multi-use knife, leave knives for cutting and get spatulas/turners for dealing with the BBQ. That way you won't be forever cleaning it during the day between cutting raw meat and turning cooked meat............IMHO not a good idea
keith157

Postby London Irish » 27 Jun 2012, 09:06

Stephen,

I agree with Keith's comments regarding the knives.
With regards to the pot, I'd recommend a 'Potjie'- pronounced poiki. You'll find them on-line from South African retailers. They range in size from a quarter which holds 0.5 litres up to size six and beyond. If you want one about 10 inches in diameter- I'd go for a size one which holds about 3 litres. They're not cheap but very versatile- think slow cooking in the winter etc... ;)
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby stephenjedward » 27 Jun 2012, 14:15

keith157 wrote:Nisbets do reasonably decent knifes, but you won't get a multi-use knife, leave knives for cutting and get spatulas/turners for dealing with the BBQ. That way you won't be forever cleaning it during the day between cutting raw meat and turning cooked meat............IMHO not a good idea

thks and good point, I am in fact a real stickler for food hygiene, so yes I wouldnt be crossing the streams.....

couldn't believe the other day when a chap was using the same tongs to put the raw sauasages on the grill, to take them off and put them in buns :oops:
stephenjedward
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 27 Jun 2012, 14:34

stephenjedward wrote:
keith157 wrote:Nisbets do reasonably decent knifes, but you won't get a multi-use knife, leave knives for cutting and get spatulas/turners for dealing with the BBQ. That way you won't be forever cleaning it during the day between cutting raw meat and turning cooked meat............IMHO not a good idea

thks and good point, I am in fact a real stickler for food hygiene, so yes I wouldnt be crossing the streams.....

couldn't believe the other day when a chap was using the same tongs to put the raw sauasages on the grill, to take them off and put them in buns :oops:

Wait till they shuffle the charcoal around with them first :!: Yes I've seen it happen and yes I pointed it out and yes we were invited back again, but by his wife this time :D
keith157

Return to Barbecue Reviews