My first UDS build.

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

My first UDS build.

Postby BBQ BAZ » 17 Jun 2012, 11:40

After reading about the results from a UDS, and watching hours of You Tube vids, I decided to attempt a UDS build.

I started out going about it the wrong way really, but it's worked out. That is to say, I dug out every single bit I could find in the shed that might be useful before getting my hands on a drum.

So now I have a drum, which is clean apart from some caulking used to make the base water tight.
I have made a chimney, which bolts to the back of the drum, it has an adjustable baffle in it, and has a rain cowl on top, made out of two old stainless saucepan lids.

It now has legs to get it off the ground and the air vent holes are in for the ball valves. I have tried to use stainless fittings and have bought a few nuts, bolts and washers from Screwfix, as they are nearby and reasonably priced.
Iam going to order a grill for it now, and figure out where to get some expanded mesh for the fire box.

I think Iam going to have to put a deflector, or water pan above the fire as this is not a "Oil" drum as such, and seems a bit shorter, with a fire in, I won't have 24" to the grill.

Any one in the Nottingham area who wants a drum let me know as I can get hold of them for a Tenner from a company on the same industrial estate as our company. This is what they get scrap for them so they just cover their costs.

Iam excited now, and my backs holding out, which is an improvement. Next week I have a seven week session with the Back Care team at the local Hospital, so Iam hoping I might be OK for a bit.
Pass the pain killers Landlord, Iam on a roll. :D
Further updates to follow.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: My first UDS build.

Postby BBQ BAZ » 24 Jun 2012, 09:44

I have had a good week at this now, and in between the rain I have managed to get some progress.
Here's where Iam at with the main body.

I decided to raise the air inlet valves so I don't have to keep bending down, and then added the downward facing openings to try and prevent wind affecting the fire. Time will tell if this works or not.
I have been looking for expanded mesh for the fire basket, and it's a heck of a price now, and they only do 8' x 4' sheets, at £54. So I decided to make my own from stuff I have had knocking about for years.

This is a tool I made to help get the spacing of the bars correct.

here it is in use.

And finished with an old wok on to show where the water bowl is going. This will be a stainless bowl from Ikea or somewhere like it.

Next week, I'll take it all apart, burn it out, and paint it with some 650 degree paint I have ordered off fleabay.
The copper and stainless parts will get polished and be treated to a coat of high temp clear lacquer, also off the well known auction site.
I just hope it works as good as it starting to look.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 24 Jun 2012, 10:54

That is looking great! How many grates will you put in? Be interested to see if the higher air inlet valve works too.

Thanks for sharing

Simon
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BBQ BAZ » 24 Jun 2012, 12:36

I only have one in at the moment, but I may put another on a bit higher up, so I can "Double Deck" it for larger amounts of smaller pieces, like chicken thighs.
I got the idea of bringing the pipes up, so I can reach the valves without bending. But also thought that if I directed them downwards, it doesn't matter which way the wind blows, it won't cause more pressure on one side. The idea being it will only get as much air as it needs, sucked in by the fire's convection.
That's the theory anyway!
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 24 Jun 2012, 13:04

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Envy pure unadulterated envy, good looking build :D
keith157

Postby CyderPig » 24 Jun 2012, 14:42

Beaut job.
The fire basket does does not need to be so high,I also incorperated a water bowl/diffuser option on mine, but have not used it.
My basket is 8 inches high, 18 inches diamiter, I can run two grills, and it burns for over 8 hours constant.
I do use the water pan in my 12 gallon build due to space/heat issues.

Cheers
Cyderpig
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BBQ BAZ » 25 Jun 2012, 20:26

Thanks for the comments guy's, I at least feel like Iam on the right track.
When I got home tonight, I stripped everything off it, and went round my friends and blagged some oak off him.
I then got as much hot charcoal as I could give it, and all the wood.
It stunk for a bit when the paint burnt but didn't last long. Paint and high temp lacquer is now on the way. So the next job is getting it cleaned up.

BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 26 Jun 2012, 05:52

As always oiur services are available for an impartial taste test ;)
Good job you don't live around here you'd have Fire & Rescue trying to put it out :lol:
keith157

Postby CyderPig » 26 Jun 2012, 13:38

If you have a shop called Proper Job near you, they do VHT paint in cans the cheapest I have found.
On one of my builds I used Radiator enamel and this hasn't burnt off, smoked or peeled, and that was £1 per tin from the same store.
Hope this helps keep costs down with the painting.

Cheers

Cyderpig
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BBQ BAZ » 26 Jun 2012, 16:24

@ Keith, we have the Police helicopter go over regularly, if they get a trace of infra red they come and have a look. It's nick named locally as "The Broxtowe Airshow", this is where they spend time looking for roofs that glow, and where people may be growing herbage. I did have to wet the holly tree, it was getting a bit hot, and they go up like a firework when they catch fire. Mrs Baz would have been a bit unhappy if the tree went up.

@ Cyderpig, Thanks for the info, I have bought some VHT paint from ebay, at £10 for two 500ml tins, that should do it.
I have also got hold of some high temp Lacquer for the copper pipes, so that they don't oxidize and go dull.

It did make me laugh when I opened it, Very High Temp paint.... extremely flammable!
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews