Cast iron grates - worth the money?

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Cast iron grates - worth the money?

Postby KamadoSimon » 20 May 2012, 18:16

Hi,

Seen a couple of companies making cast iron grates for BBQs, some of them with sections which you can swap out to eg griddle on one part and sear on another etc

Is cooking on cast iron, instead of stainless steel worth the extra money?

Cheers,

Simon
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Cast iron grates - worth the money?

Postby JEC » 20 May 2012, 19:21

I have the CI grate for my Egg, I absolutely love it and wouldn't consider grilling on anything else now, 100% worth the money I'm so glad I bought it. Buy the CI grate for the large it will fit your Joe, it's £55 which is the only down side, link below

http://www.biggreenegg.co.uk/shop/product/cast-iron-searing-grid-large
JEC

Postby BadBoyzofBBQ » 20 May 2012, 20:14

Hi Simon this may help you http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.ca/2012/04/grillgrates-vs-craycort-cast-iron.html.

I can't decide myself for my KJ lol

ASH
BadBoyzofBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 21 May 2012, 08:01

Great - cheers Ash - now I need to buy both! :lol: Have you found out the cost of importing the grill grates? If not, I'll email them today.

JEC - that is a good price. But I was looking at the modular ones so that I could do some vegetables easily at the same time as griddling or grilling. Found these guys via the BGE forum: www.cast-iron-grate.com & .co.uk

Also, found these guys www.gussroste.de

Given how heavy these things are & cast-iron-grate.co.uk ship for only £7.50 - I think that's the way I was leaning...
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 21 May 2012, 08:56

I didn't realise you could get Craycort grates directly here in the UK. I think I would get one of those over the BGE version, yes you can buy a half moon griddle grate but the adds more £'s and it sits on top of the CI grate. I like my BGE grate but the Craycort is very well rated by lots of forum users
JEC

Postby KamadoSimon » 21 May 2012, 13:48

Ordered the Craycort one with a griddle & wok module too. Hopefully I'll get it in time for steak night.... ;-)
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 21 May 2012, 14:35

KamadoSimon wrote:Ordered the Craycort one with a griddle & wok module too. Hopefully I'll get it in time for steak night.... ;-)

Nice look forward to seeing the pictures
JEC

Postby BadBoyzofBBQ » 21 May 2012, 18:03

Hi Simon
You will be pleased I hope with them, I must declare an interest as they have confirmed today to be one of my sponsors.

ASH
BadBoyzofBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 21 May 2012, 18:37

I'll tell you after steak night.... ;-))

Yep - reckon I will be. I like the ability to add in the modules too - finding myself cooking more & more of any given meal on the KJ, simply because 'it's on' to do the main component. Well that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it :D
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby KamadoSimon » 28 May 2012, 13:24

Decided to go with the Craycort Cast Iron Grates for a couple of reasons:

- similar price to grillgrates (once shipping & tax is taken into account) for the complete cast iron grill + wok + griddle + lifter kit;
- like the modularity of the craycort product;
- shipping is from the UK - so does not cost a great deal.

Have now cooked a couple of things (steaks, burgers & sausages on the grills, potatoes & beans in the wok module) on the craycort grates now (not used the griddle yet) - am very pleased with them. Solidly made product that does what it says. Wok is a great addition for vegetables. The grills leave brilliant-looking (and tasty!) sear marks.

Flare ups are not an issue with the dome closed for things like burgers, steaks & sausages. Fatty lamb might be a little more of an issue.

Given they are a little smaller than the maximum diameter of the Kamado Joe grill, I was worried it might slip a little. But due to the weight & material it doesn't move once installed. Also, you can't really use them properly on the heat deflector metal support - so I won't be using them on low & slows - but no big deal. I'll keep them nice & clean for searing.

KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews