ProQ OEM Handles fitted to 18" WSM

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

ProQ OEM Handles fitted to 18" WSM

Postby BBQFanatic » 07 May 2012, 18:05

After promising to do this mod for the last year, Ben prompted the action by bringing round his ceramic/steel drill bits as well as stainless steel nuts/bolts and washers. To complete the modification we had the following items

- 2mm drill bit to drill pilot holes and a drill
- Ceramic/Steell drill bit (4mm and 10mm)
- Black ceramic paint
- ProQ Handles (£12.00 from a number of vendors, excluding nuts/bolts and washers)
- Stainless steel Nuts/bolts and a washer for each of the handles
- BBQ Temperature Sensor Grommet ($7 from Cajun Bandit BBQ Mods)
- Pair of pliers

Temperature BBQ Sensor Grommet
Decide where the grommet is going to be placed, we placed ours about 1cm below the top grate screws so the grommet did not interfere with the grate. Drill a pilot hole with the 2mm bit, the grommet is 3/4" about 9.2mm, we didnt have a 9mm ceramic/steel bit so went with a 10mm bit, its a little loose, but once fitted with the collar it doesnt move. After drilling, paint the hole with black ceramic paint and leave till dry (about 4hours), this will prevent corrosion. Fit the collar, and boom you are done.

Handle Installation
This was alot easier than I expected, we decided to place the handles about 3-4cm from the top lip of the WSM Stack. The ProQ Oem handles have a lip that only allows the handles to move to 90°, but on others, you will need to make sure that the handle will not rotate and squeeze your fingers against the top lip. We place the handles at about 90° to the front of the unit. Use a marker with the handles to mark the pilot holes and check that its level. Use the 2mm drill bit to drill the pilot holes, then use the ceramic drill bit to drill the holes for the bolts. We used oil on the bit whilst drilling to prevent heat and ripping of the ceramic coating. Once the holes are drilled, paint with black ceramic paint and wait for it to dry. Fit the handles with a washer to prevent it from loosening up.

BBQFanatic

Re: ProQ OEM Handles fitted to 18" WSM

Postby bencops » 07 May 2012, 18:39

Ah they do look nice (i left at the paint drying stage). I thought the hex bolt heads would look cool!

Do the handles feel solid and dependable when you pick up the body, lid and clay tray? The handles and bolts are certainly up to it but i worried the wsm would flex with the stress.
bencops

Postby BBQFanatic » 07 May 2012, 19:09

Felt ok, I would need to feel it with 5kg of brisket on as well to know for certian. They fall nice and flush with the unit and look the part. Very happy with it, all we need are the clips between the tune and the base and then we can carry the whole unit in one go.
BBQFanatic

Postby RobinC » 07 May 2012, 19:36

Nice mod. I've yet to get up th courage to do anything to mine
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 07 May 2012, 20:28

I would like to put latches on the base of mine so I can lift it in one piece. Nice work on the handles.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BBQFanatic » 07 May 2012, 20:52

Steve, that is the end game, but the ProQ latches are pop riveted on and its a flush join between the stackers/base, but the wsm has a lip, so still looking for an easy solution to this. The benefits with these handles over the other mods on VirtualWeber forum is that the cover still goes over easily.
BBQFanatic

Postby Steve » 08 May 2012, 05:39

Cuan, with you on the handles, I'd use the same ones, they feel flimsy but I've lifted an E20 with 2 butts on before now and they hold up fine.

The latch fitting isn't too difficult, 2x shims made of 1mm ally should get you over the lip and I would imagine you could use countersunk stainless machine screws for fitting. I've just never been arsed to do it.

What drill bit are you using to drill through the ceramic paint? I imagine a HSS will go through it, I'm always worried it will slip and dance across the paint work unless it's done on a pillar drill though.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bencops » 08 May 2012, 06:17

As per http://bbbqs.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=916 its the same method.
Drill a 1-2mm pilot hole with a standard metal drill. Light pressure and high speed and It wont slip across. The use these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... ss_product to step up to the right size. The wd40 dripped on mixes with the filings to abrade away the metal and enamel smoothly.
bencops

Return to Barbecue Reviews