BBQ Guru - Cyber Q Wifi - Coming Soon

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

BBQ Guru - Cyber Q Wifi - Coming Soon

Postby BBQFanatic » 25 Apr 2012, 14:27

So what I have been able to find out about it is the following
1) The enclosure is plastic not metal to allow for the wireless signal.
2) You dont need a router. The cyber-q wifi unit broadcasts its own wifi signal so you can connect to it directly via any browser (ie read mobile phone!).
3) The backlight has an option to stay on
4) It controls 1 pit and probes 3 meats

There was an update from the BBQ Guru facebook page "Cyber Q Wifi Status: I know we put a teaser out there about 4 or 5 weeks ago and started a frenzy. We are doing our very best to bring this control to market ASAP. We are getting flooded with phone calls and emails about this and I am sorry we do not have an exact day this will be available. We are waiting for 1 part of the control to be complete and will will be building them by the hundreds. I appreciate your patience with this. It will all be worth it!"

BBQ Fanatics dont use force fed units for competitions (a principle thing - Real Q' doesnt use electricity!), but looks perfect for home cooking and ease of use when doing an overnighter.
BBQFanatic

Re: BBQ Guru - Cyber Q Wifi - Coming Soon

Postby Steve » 25 Apr 2012, 14:45

BBQFanatic wrote:BBQ Fanatics dont use force fed units for competitions (a principle thing - Real Q' doesnt use electricity!), but looks perfect for home cooking and ease of use when doing an overnighter.

Surely real Q is what you cook at home?

Competition Q is enhanced, dabbled with and amped up to the n'th degree.

So shouldn't we be spurning the electrics for home use but applying them at comps ;) :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 25 Apr 2012, 15:02

it might be interesting to exclude draft systems and pellet cookers but I would prefer to see the banning of compound injections and the use of chemicals such as phosphates and nitrates. just my opinion though!
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BBQFanatic » 25 Apr 2012, 15:14

Steve wrote:
BBQFanatic wrote:BBQ Fanatics dont use force fed units for competitions (a principle thing - Real Q' doesnt use electricity!), but looks perfect for home cooking and ease of use when doing an overnighter.

Surely real Q is what you cook at home?

Competition Q is enhanced, dabbled with and amped up to the n'th degree.

So shouldn't we be spurning the electrics for home use but applying them at comps ;) :lol:

At home I have children and distractions, so dont get to give my smoker the love it needs (especially overnight), so something that takes the effort out of it, means I can Q' more often with less fuss and distractions to the family. I understand what you are saying about the comp stuff, but we want to stay honest to the roots of Q.
BBQFanatic

Postby BBQFanatic » 25 Apr 2012, 15:15

joker smoker wrote:it might be interesting to exclude draft systems and pellet cookers but I would prefer to see the banning of compound injections and the use of chemicals such as phosphates and nitrates. just my opinion though!

Thats an interesting idea as well... I like it!
BBQFanatic

Postby Toby » 25 Apr 2012, 15:19

problem is, its another rule that couldn't be properly policed.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 25 Apr 2012, 15:28

I like John's suggestions, I also like the idea of keeping true to the roots of Q but how far do you take it.

Step 1: As outlined by John..

Step 2: No more of these electronic remote temperature probe thingies...

Step 3: While we're at it, bimetal thermometers are a bit too high tech too.

Step 4: In fact a pit is just that, a pit, what are these metal and ceramic monstrosities we are using, crack out the spade and get digging.

See where I'm going here, we can talk about staying true to the roots of Q but actually what we do is already far advanced from the roots, this is only human nature. What the purist rejects (or Luddite depending on your point of view) tends only to be the newest innovations, not those that have been around since before they started to Q.

Cuan, don't think I'm having a pop here, couldn't be further from the truth. This is the kind of debate I find fantastically interesting and the fact I'll engage with the likes of John and yourself (and several others before anyone gets the hump :lol: ) on it is an indication of the fact that I respect your views and opinions :D

On the chemical front, I would happily see phosphates, nitrates, protein and other ingredients disappear, so am I an ingredient purist or a chemical Luddite? :lol:

But it's not going to happen is it?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bencops » 25 Apr 2012, 16:42

Its principles, but theyre not universal!

For me and q the joy is building a fire and tending it. The joy of competing is unalloyed, focused building a fire and tending it and mucking about with sugary meat ... and drinking.
For me at least ive got a freezer full of vac packed q so if i havent got time to bbq i just eat from the freezer, hence I wouldnt use a force draft system at home either. Whats the point? A computer is doing the fun bit!

I do like the output, dont get me wrong, including from pellet smokers (although it doesnt taste like backyard bbq to me).
bencops

Postby Toby » 25 Apr 2012, 16:46

Supprised you can taste anyting with some of the hot sauces kicking around your stand at the comps :lol:
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bencops » 25 Apr 2012, 16:49

You're the one who gave me the naga chili sauce!

Man I've never had anything less pleasant!
bencops

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews