My Oil Drum project

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: My Oil Drum project

Postby esselle » 07 Mar 2010, 11:43

County4x4 wrote:Tell you what - I'm gutted.

We scrapped a bunch of brand new stainless steel barrels at work recently - only small ones about the size of beer kegs. They looked nice just as "a thing" - never mind being a useful thing! I have a real problem with chucking good stuff away, but have to steel myself sometimes as I can't keep hold of everything I like. I'll bet these would have been ideal for some of you guys :cry:

Andy

They sound perfect for me too never mind
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 27 Apr 2010, 08:34

Fitted a new temp guage purchased from walmart miami.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use for an exhaust on top? Is a piece of car exhaust ok?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 01 May 2010, 15:07

Anyone?

Also I work with resin impregnated carbon cloth, could I cover the drum in this to make it look 'pretty' or would the resin be an issue? The resin cures at approx 80 degrees c though. Any suggestions?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 01 May 2010, 15:30

I know Al uses threaded stainless steel pipe as exhaust.

You can use any stainless or mild steel piping as long as it's not galv or zinc coated.

As for the resin cloth, I don't know if it will cause an issue. If it's on the outside it should be ok, but I wouldn't chance it myself unless I knew what was in the resin and how it reacted to heat.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 01 May 2010, 15:33

Steve wrote:I know Al uses threaded stainless steel pipe as exhaust.

You can use any stainless or mild steel piping as long as it's not galv or zinc coated.

As for the resin cloth, I don't know if it will cause an issue. If it's on the outside it should be ok, but I wouldn't chance it myself unless I knew what was in the resin and how it reacted to heat.

Thanks again Steve.....sorry for sounding an idiot but are car exhausts galv or zinc?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 01 May 2010, 16:27

Not a clue mate. I have a stainless exhaust on my car.

There must be some kind of rust protection on non-stainless exhausts but what it is, I don't know.

I think you'll have to resort to Google.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 01 May 2010, 16:33

I can't stand unanswered questions :lol:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090125065337AAjMpaP

states that modern exhausts are stainless or aluminized steel. Either of these will be fine.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 03 May 2010, 12:15

thanks again Steve :D
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 11 May 2010, 09:41

Whilst trawling the net I found a pic where someone had cut and welded two drums together in a T shape. The upright one being the firebox. It looked superb and I am tempted to have a go (with the help of a mate who is a professional welder). The problem is finding another drum. There are some on ebay that have been used for detergent, can they be burnt out to remove any trace of detergent? Or is best to avoid and keep looking?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 11 May 2010, 11:06

If you're going with that T shaped design then your horizonatal drum is going to be tight head for sure?

Pop along to a local garage and see if they've got one that had mineral oil in it. The local garages near me had loads of tight head drums that they'd have given me for free. Unfortunately I needed open heads for UDS so I had to pay for one :(

Most detergents should wash out with a pressure washer and follow that up with a good burn, but I'm no expert so don't take my word for it.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews