Biggest Easter Egg I've Ever Had On Its Way!

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Biggest Easter Egg I've Ever Had On Its Way!

Postby JEC » 05 Apr 2012, 21:00

BigM wrote:That Looks sweet mate if i had the funds i would have had one, One day i will (where do u live ?) :P

keep us informed on ya first cook i will do same :)

u got a heat deflector and raised grill with it ?

Isle of Sky :lol:

Got the plate setter, no raised grid, looking at ordering a few bits from the ceramicgrillstore, got loads of accessories for the BGE plus other kamado style cookers
JEC

Postby bencops » 05 Apr 2012, 22:18

Very cool! Love it, congrats.
bencops

Postby KamadoSimon » 12 Apr 2012, 07:41

JEC wrote:Got the plate setter, no raised grid, looking at ordering a few bits from the ceramicgrillstore, got loads of accessories for the BGE plus other kamado style cookers

Have you ordered anything from the ceramicgrillstore yet? I was going to order the large spider - so I can get a cast iron searing grid really near the coals. But am a little put off by the (lack of) postage options, especially with respect to no insurance. The other option for me is to go talk to a metal fabricator near by and see if they can put something together specifically for the KJ.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 12 Apr 2012, 08:10

KamadoSimon wrote:
JEC wrote:Got the plate setter, no raised grid, looking at ordering a few bits from the ceramicgrillstore, got loads of accessories for the BGE plus other kamado style cookers

Have you ordered anything from the ceramicgrillstore yet? I was going to order the large spider - so I can get a cast iron searing grid really near the coals. But am a little put off by the (lack of) postage options, especially with respect to no insurance. The other option for me is to go talk to a metal fabricator near by and see if they can put something together specifically for the KJ.

You almost read my mind, I emailed Tom at the ceramic grill store on Tuesday and he replied last night, I had a list of questions including an estimate for postage on a spider, lump reducing ring, the woo and a rig, postage was $120 to $200 depending on insurance and speed etc... by the time you add import duty and handling charges it would make my order nearly £350. Whilst I am certain this it top quality stuff I can justify chucking nearly £150 away in shipping and VAT. I am in the states at the end of the month with work and providing I have enough luggage space I will have it shipped to my hotel and bring it back myself. If I can't fit it all in then I will get one of the fabrication companies we use at work to make me up a few bits. It's a shame though as the kit is really well made its just not viable living in the UK.
JEC

Postby KamadoSimon » 12 Apr 2012, 08:36

Ouch! Yep, that's made my mind up then. I will do some drawings for a Kamado Joe specific rig which will hold a grate nearer the coals & get some quotes for the fabrication.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 12 Apr 2012, 09:27

JEC buy another suitcase, the extra baggage costs must be less than the shipping you've been quoted. Then again can you manage 4 large cases (packed with goodies for friends and family ;) ) :D
keith157

Postby JEC » 12 Apr 2012, 10:27

keith157 wrote:JEC buy another suitcase, the extra baggage costs must be less than the shipping you've been quoted. Then again can you manage 4 large cases (packed with goodies for friends and family ;) ) :D

As its with work I can have my own stuff shipped back via our own carrier and then just take my new toys as luggage, still going to get a price for fabrication though as I'm owed a favour or 3.
JEC

Postby KamadoSimon » 12 Apr 2012, 11:20

Necessity is the mother of invention or whatever the quote is!

Just a thought, what about using something like these: http://www.day2dayessentials.co.uk/fire ... 1637-p.asp

A few of them could be used to provide a ring to contain coals for smaller fires in large grills.

Two to four of them could be used upright to hold a smaller grilling grate nearer the coals - wouldn't be as stable, but you could then drill holes in them & insert metal rods keeping them more stable...
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby KamadoSimon » 12 Apr 2012, 12:06

Actually, for what I want, three lengths of 304 steel sitting across the firebox and in-between the firebox and fire ring will do the job of holding the cast iron grid. Right, off to order some & the small BGE cast iron grate.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 12 Apr 2012, 13:27

KamadoSimon wrote:Necessity is the mother of invention or whatever the quote is!

Just a thought, what about using something like these: http://www.day2dayessentials.co.uk/fire ... 1637-p.asp

A few of them could be used to provide a ring to contain coals for smaller fires in large grills.

Two to four of them could be used upright to hold a smaller grilling grate nearer the coals - wouldn't be as stable, but you could then drill holes in them & insert metal rods keeping them more stable...

I have a few fire bricks left over from my kettle days, now that I've invested in a top quality product I want to stick with the engineered look rather than the make do and mend approach. It won't make any difference in the quality of food produced but it does make a huge difference to me. :)
JEC

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews