Homebrew pit controller

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Homebrew pit controller

Postby Steve » 31 Jan 2012, 15:04

I can't see that clearly, but you've got a 12V power supply, PID and SSR.

Can you get a picture of the sticker on top of the PID so I can see the terminals?

But if that's like the similar PID's I've seen then it will take a direct feed from the mains, probably into terminals 1&2. If this is the case then it's an easy wring up job with what you have (explained below). However, if the PID takes 12V and the power supply is intended to feed the PID, then you'll have to do things a little differently.

Connect PID to the mains using the correct terminals (1&2?)
Then you wire the input side of the SSR into the correct terminals (6&7?).

Now assuming the terminal numbers above are right, jump a wire across from terminal 1 on the PID into one of the output terminals on the SSR. Connect the second output terminal into the input of your power supply then complete the circuit by jumping back across to terminal 2 on the PID.

You can then connect a DC blower into the output of your power supply and hook up a temperature sensor. Get these into your pit and you're in business.

Just to add, with the kit you have you'll be playing with mains electricity, 240V can kill you or worse could kill me when I come to have a look at your controller in May ;) Please make sure you do all your connections properly and earth everything that needs to be earthed, you need to assemble your new toy in a suitable box too. If in doubt, bring your box of bits in May and I'll be happy to wire it all up for you safely.

Also worth noting that SSR's work differently to mechanical relays, when the circuit is closed they do like to produce heat, you may need to consider this when installing your setup into an enclosure.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 31 Jan 2012, 15:19

Steve wrote:Seriously Keith, the wiring side of it is a doddle, the kit is virtually plug and play, will take me less than half an hour to wire up.

Fabricating the adapter is the most challenging bit for me, I'm sure the results wont be pretty but they'll work :D

A bit like me really :lol:
As for rum for a smooth straight drink try Mount Gay. A friend brought me a 1/3 litre back from Barbados. It had a crown cap....non resealable, after the first taste I knew why!!!!! Smoother than a lounge lizard on steroids.

Good luck to you all
keith157

Postby esselle » 31 Jan 2012, 17:55

Just put 2 more pics on photobucket where that links to - still might just let you do it but I want to make sure I've got the right stuff ready.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 31 Jan 2012, 20:56

The label is a bit blurry but it looks like it will take a 240vac input so the wiring example I gave will be ok.

You're still missing a k-type thermocouple (you want one with spade connectors) wire, fixings, fuse, fan and switches. But the big bits are all in place :D

Have a go yourself, remember I'm only at the other end of the phone or you can FaceTime meand I can see what you're doing 8-)
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 01 Feb 2012, 08:41

Got the k type thermocouple. ;)
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 01 Feb 2012, 09:01

Cool,

So you just need a DC fan then. If you go on Fleabay and search for "DC Blower" you'll see some suitable ones.

What are you after running on yours, the Superior or your bullets?

The smallest fan that was on there when I got mine was a 50mm, it pumps out 20CFM which may be too much for my WSMs so I might have to slow it down a bit, would probably be good for your Superior though.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 01 Feb 2012, 10:43

I've got a fan I robbed out of an old pc will that do the job?
I want to run it on the superior but with the option of the pro q aswell.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 02 Feb 2012, 11:20

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Guru or Stoker adapter unless you've not got a drill, hack saw, two bits of 2"x2" and half a brain because that's all you need to make an adapter out of some sheet ally and a dog bowl. :lol:

The trap doors aren't spring loaded or anything, they're just for stopping natural draft and providing a little heat protection for the fan. If they were providing any notable resistance to the airflow, they'd put excess strain on the fan. A piece of ally cut to size and bent around a thick paper clip will give you a door. Simples :D

As for adding a fan speed controller, you could get away with a potentiometer or you can get a PWM one from eBay for less than a fiver, in terms of adding complexity, they're wired in-line so again - simples :D

Your PC fan may be suitable, but you might want to work out it's CFM rating. I ordered the blower I mentioned from Hong Kong, but last night I found a 12CFM brushless fan in my parts stash :) It's not side ported so I'll have to modify my adapter design but I've not cut the sheet yet so that's no problem. £4 and the 20CFM blower is yours!!!
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 02 Feb 2012, 12:43

sounds good to me mate ;)
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 02 Feb 2012, 13:35

I'll let you know when it arrives mate.

If all goes to plan, I might get the chance to build my blower adapter at the weekend. Just need to dig out a suitable power supply, I know I've got a 12v supply somewhere but it seems to be playing hide and seek with me, and its winning.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews