Big Green Egg - anyone have one?

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Big Green Egg - anyone have one?

Postby bencops » 22 Jan 2012, 21:11

Hi all
Does anyone have a BGE in the UK and what's your take on it? What size do you have/recommend?
Can you tell me how it compares for temperature stability compared to what I know (22" weber kettle and both WSMs)? How does it react to having the lid opened for mopping, meddling, etc?

Just exploring the thought of it at the moment, that's all. Honest :)
bencops

Re: Big Green Egg - anyone have one?

Postby Swindon_Ed » 22 Jan 2012, 21:33

I've been looking at these for a little while now and I've come to the decision that I'd need an xl & 2x large eggs if I was going to use all eggs for comp's but as you can imagine this will not be cheap and also hard work to transport them all safely, Al will be a good person to speak with as although he's not using a BGE he's been cooking on a monolith ceramic for a while now.

From what I've read about them you need to be careful when opening them if you're cooking above 350f as you can lose you're face hair.
Swindon_Ed

Postby joker smoker » 22 Jan 2012, 22:49

I've cooked on Primos a couple of times now and When you get used to them temperature control becomes pretty amazing

http://youtu.be/MgRW6ENhrg0

hope you can understand Danish Ben lol

video is pretty self explanatory but basically, when the oven is up to temp it's really quick and easy to raise or lower the temp
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 23 Jan 2012, 06:35

Temperature control is in a different league to that of a weber, as is fuel consumption. The technique for using them is slightly different ie no 2 zone fire, light a small amount of charcoal rather than a whole chimney. For swapping out a true 2 zone fire you get super high searing temps and accessories that can help when cooking multiple items requiring different styles. As said buy the biggest you can I'm working on an XL
JEC

Postby JEC » 23 Jan 2012, 06:50

If you haven't already done so check out

http://www.biggreenegg.co.uk/shop.aspx

The UK distributor is run by Andy Annat who is a previous British BBQ champion so he knows a thing or two. They have some cracking deals (pun intended) that have everything you need in one box. You can't currently buy online though but can ring up and get your new toy ordered.
JEC

Postby Toby » 23 Jan 2012, 07:27

The distributor is David Ezrine @ Alfresco Concepts, Andy Annat runs their cooking demos. We used various sizes of the Big Green Eggs at a cooking demo for 30 Michelin Chefs in aid of Help the Heroes a couple of years ago. BGE and Primo are top of their game with the monoliths and kamados coming from the same factories in china.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JEC » 23 Jan 2012, 12:25

Toby wrote:The distributor is David Ezrine @ Alfresco Concepts, Andy Annat runs their cooking demos. .

I stand corrected, still not a bad endorsement especially with Dr BBQ's backing too, I'd forgotten about his demos at Grillstock to a very impressed crowd
JEC

Postby bencops » 23 Jan 2012, 21:51

Cheers all
They look awesome. I wouldn't use it for competitions - too much trouble lifting them into the back of vans and smashing them to pieces outside my house, I expect. It'd be built in somewhere.

Toby have you got some in your enormous collection? I'd like to see one!
bencops

Postby bencops » 24 Jan 2012, 06:42

Also, is the xl oval or circular?
bencops

Postby Toby » 24 Jan 2012, 08:31

bencops wrote:Cheers all
They look awesome. I wouldn't use it for competitions - too much trouble lifting them into the back of vans and smashing them to pieces outside my house, I expect. It'd be built in somewhere.

Toby have you got some in your enormous collection? I'd like to see one!

Not at the moment, to be honest I would rather go for the Primo but the distributor is extremely, well...... Just doesnt seem interested even when I asked about buying one :lol:

All the BGE's are round, which is why I would prefer a Primo.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews