Oil Drum Grill

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Oil Drum Grill

Postby JEC » 07 Sep 2011, 19:16

British BBQ Society wrote:
JEC wrote:
DrSweetsmoke wrote:I love good ol' home made pits. 8-)

My sentiments too, why spend £1000's on exotic cookers when a £50 UDS will do the same job, it's all down to the skill of the Pit Master

Really looking forward to you showing us sometime :D

Patience my good man, post the confirmed dates for next years comps and if they match with my diary I will join you for a rib or two 8-)
JEC

Postby British BBQ Society » 08 Sep 2011, 07:16

First two dates next year have already been posted. http://bbbqs.com/content/events-calendar

4th & 5th May, Mayhem in May, British BBQ Society HQ
3rd & 4th June, Surrey County Show
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 09 Sep 2011, 10:15

JEC wrote:

My sentiments too, why spend £1000's on exotic cookers when a £50 UDS will do the same job, it's all down to the skill of the Pit Master

Ask any experienced pit master and they'll tell you different cookers do a better job of different meats. Uds rock but saying it does the same job as anything doesn't add up to me, it's not that black and white. 8-)
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JEC » 09 Sep 2011, 17:15

Steve wrote:
JEC wrote:

Ask any experienced pit master and they'll tell you different cookers do a better job of different meats. Uds rock but saying it does the same job as anything doesn't add up to me, it's not that black and white. 8-)

Wow how many different cookers will I have to buy? :shock: I wonder what Harry Soo would say ;)

I appreciate everyone will have a different and that's cool with me, it's also what makes BBQ fun, ie my cookers better than yours etc... and besides that this is a forum from my experience everyone on the Internet has a different and often opposing view to your own. If your happy with whatever kit you have, expensive or cheap then I'm happy and this is all Q.
JEC

Postby Steve » 09 Sep 2011, 20:56

I'm sure Harry would acknowledge that a stick burner will cook a better brisket than a WSM. But for him the WSM is the best all rounder for his needs. I'll ask him next time I speak to him ;)
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 11 Sep 2011, 06:59

Whilst I do think there is a lot of truth in the "it's the cook, not the cooker" line I can't help but think it can't be completely true. The cooker itself has to adhere to some pretty basic standards. If you have no means of controlling airflow, exhaust, the ash pan chokes, or it is not the right size then surely the cooker will affect the cook... wouldn't it?

The old adage a bad workman always blames his tools also comes under fire here. You don't find heart surgeons performing surgery with spoons, Formula 1 drivers don't race in crew vans and Tiger Woods doesn't play with Ram Golf Clubs.

I agree a good cook can turn out some great food on some very basic, low cost equipment but they can also turn out some outstanding food on better (not necessarily more expensive) equipment. Similiarly a bad cook can make bad food on an awesome cooker.

Perhaps this is why some people opt for offsets, bullets, cabinets or even ceramics either self built or shop bought.

However, I would consider myself an average but lucky cook with an excellent cooker, I just need to learn how to use it better.... :lol:

JMO
All Weather Griller

Postby British BBQ Society » 11 Sep 2011, 07:13

Or just by accessorising a basic cooker with a BBQ Guru etc
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British BBQ Society » 11 Sep 2011, 10:12

Al..... I will say no more
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 11 Sep 2011, 19:05

A few weeks ago I fitted some new skirting boards in two large rooms. The first room I did the way I have done many times before, mitred mid wall joints and corners mitred then scribed, then attached with grip fill and nails. I cut each mitre with a hand saw using a standard mitre box. A couple of days later, when I did the second room, my mate was round doing some building work for me, I borrowed his top of the line DeWalt compound mitre saw and nail gun to use in my task.

Now when you look at either room, the skirting looks perfect (I'm very good with wood :lol: ), 9 out of 10 people wouldn't notice any difference at all, but if you look very very closely there is a difference, the hand cut mitres might be half a degree out as one may get using a mitre box, but every cut was perfect using the mitre saw.

The tools I used cost over a grand and I wouldn't personally buy them for myself as I don't see them as presenting good value for me, this doesn't mean that they don't enable me with my skill level to do a better job, albeit with very fine margins.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Barbecue Reviews