Big grill/Smoker

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Big grill/Smoker

Postby dronfield BBQ Ranch » 23 Jul 2011, 21:26

BBQ BAZ wrote:Had a good day at it today, and have finished the build. So all that was left to do was burn it out ready for a wire brushing and final paint.

Top fire dude, good luck and get loads if picks.

BBQ looks good well done
dronfield BBQ Ranch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BBQ BAZ » 24 Jul 2011, 20:45

Well that was a day and a bit, it took a lot longer than I had thought to get the burnt paint residue out, it sticks like you wouldn't believe even when it was red hot. But it is all painted and ready for it's first session now. I have put it away and won't build it up until the paint, Hammerite for the legs and shelf, and Heat resistant for the box have properly dried.
Looking forward to next weekend now.

BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BBQ BAZ » 26 Jul 2011, 17:16

Whoops! The supports are welded to the top, and the mesh suspended below.
I see with hind sight that this might mean not being able to move the food round the grill easily, but it will have to do, as I need it for the weekend.
I did it that way so no food bits built up under the mesh and between the supports that I couldn't easily get to, if it proves a problem I'll modify it later.

Thanks for your advice.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BBQ BAZ » 13 Aug 2011, 19:31

OK, I've cured the over heating problem. I have put the charcoal in a large gastronome pan, this restricts the amount of air that is available to the fuel, and it burns nice and steady.
I did two spatchcock chickens for tea, and they turned out spot on.
Iam happy now!
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Barbecue Reviews