Big grill/Smoker

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Big grill/Smoker

Postby BBQ BAZ » 14 Jul 2011, 13:47

I decided yesterday that a big old tool safe I made years ago, and don't use anymore, instead of being chopped up and chucked, is now going to be a 900x600 grill, and if I can find something to make a lid, will in time become a box smoker.
I have to be a bit careful as I slipped a disc two weeks ago, and need this finishing in a fortnight, no pressure then.
I have most of what I need to convert it, and use some stuff that's been lying round for ages, so here goes.
I also want to make it so that it will pack into itself for storage, including the legs it will stand on.
Iam basing the idea on a beech wood fired grill we saw in Zakopane in Poland, them folk aren't stingy with their portions either.
Iam off out with the old handbrake now to check out some meat prices for another BBQ. Beef and pork at Makro are a reasonable price, and dead cheap if you want Namibian beef! ( If them things turn sideways you can't see them!)
Going to have a look in Costco.
Piccy's of build will follow.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Big grill/Smoker

Postby BBQ BAZ » 15 Jul 2011, 19:27

Here's where it's at now, It now has legs, grill supports at two different heights and a frame for the grill mesh to go on.
It's going to need a good burn out now to get rid of the paint, then much sanding and wire brushing.

BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby LM600 » 16 Jul 2011, 13:54

Looking Good Mate!

If you have it vertical and stick a door on it you'll have an awesome smoker.
LM600

Postby BBQ BAZ » 16 Jul 2011, 19:20

Iam going to do it as a grill first, for two reasons. The first is that so far it's not cost anything, just material I had lying round for ages.
The second is it's coated in MIO paint, which although very water resistant, is nasty stuff to get rid of. The plan is a hot big fire in it, with old pine and stuff to get the heat, and when its cool, wire brush it off. If it works, great, if not, I might have to get in shot or sand blasted. That would put a hole in the "cost me nothing" boat.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BBQ BAZ » 22 Jul 2011, 17:00

Right, that's the fire grate and grill made, just needs a few little accessories, and burning out.
A coat of heat resistant paint and it's ready for it's first cook, next Saturday.

BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Curlie028 » 22 Jul 2011, 18:24

Nice one.
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dronfield BBQ Ranch » 22 Jul 2011, 22:11

Cooooooooooool.

lets see some fin fotos pal
dronfield BBQ Ranch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BBQ BAZ » 22 Jul 2011, 23:00

No worries, there will be many pictures of my epic/utter failure BBQ. (delete as needed) Iam now looking at thirty people plus.
Not looking like the most relaxing Birthday, but if no one can better the food, then it's been worth it. Happy Day's.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 23 Jul 2011, 05:39

BBQ BAZ wrote:Not looking like the most relaxing Birthday, but if no one can better the food, then it's been worth it. Happy Day's.

Spoken like a true BBQ nut! :lol:
All Weather Griller

Postby BBQ BAZ » 23 Jul 2011, 21:21

Had a good day at it today, and have finished the build. So all that was left to do was burn it out ready for a wire brushing and final paint.

BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews