Have I missed anything?

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Have I missed anything?

Postby eunosben » 07 Jun 2011, 16:48

I'm just drawing up some ideas for the offset smoker I want to build and was wondering how my external design is looking. It looks like most offset smokers and hopefully it will all work. I have aquired 200ltr and 25ltr drums obviously the smaller being for the fire box. Any input/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I think you can view it larger by clicking on the pic and selecting all sizes

bens bbq plans by derbyurbex, on Flickr
eunosben
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Have I missed anything?

Postby All Weather Griller » 07 Jun 2011, 17:02

There are some formulas for the Firebox v the cooking area somewhere online I would make sure you have sufficient firebox space.

Also consider how high your exhaust will be on the opposite end, this can impact on how quickly the heat and smoky goodness evacuates.

I would canvas John from BBQ Shack also as he has done some playing with baffle plates to help manage hotspots and redirect heat and smoke internally.

The plans look pretty good though. I hope you will keep us posted with a picture diary.

Beers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby All Weather Griller » 07 Jun 2011, 20:00

Here is how the Jambo is connected:

They're not of mine, but I can get better pics if you think it would be of use. The Backyard Jambo is exactly the same.
All Weather Griller

Postby eunosben » 08 Jun 2011, 07:38

Cheers guys and Doc that would be appreciated mate
eunosben
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vic. » 08 Jun 2011, 08:45

Ben, if you like smoking different things together at once here's a thing to consider before you build your smoker, its not technical, just an idea I wish I had incorporated before I built mine.

To get foods ready at the same time, try incorportating a non smoking chamber in the drum, this is useful when cooking foods that take different times. ie- usually the first hour of cooking is enough to smoke food as its easy to oversmoke food. Say you're cooking ribs (takes 4 hrs cook) you would smoke them for the first hour, then you could put them into another chamber to cook and baste them. When ready to smoke something like sausages (takes 3 hrs cook) smoke them for an hour and place them in the non-smoking chamber along with the ribs. When ready to smoke corn on the cob (1.5- 2hrs cook) smoke for one hour and place along with ribs and sausages.

just a thought ;)
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby eunosben » 08 Jun 2011, 10:54

Vic. wrote:Ben, if you like smoking different things together at once here's a thing to consider before you build your smoker, its not technical, just an idea I wish I had incorporated before I built mine.

To get foods ready at the same time, try incorportating a non smoking chamber in the drum, this is useful when cooking foods that take different times. ie- usually the first hour of cooking is enough to smoke food as its easy to oversmoke food. Say you're cooking ribs (takes 4 hrs cook) you would smoke them for the first hour, then you could put them into another chamber to cook and baste them. When ready to smoke something like sausages (takes 3 hrs cook) smoke them for an hour and place them in the non-smoking chamber along with the ribs. When ready to smoke corn on the cob (1.5- 2hrs cook) smoke for one hour and place along with ribs and sausages.

just a thought ;)

Thats a great idea thanks mate
eunosben
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Barbecue Reviews