Royal Q's New Project

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Royal Q's New Project

Postby Steve » 05 Jun 2011, 18:28

For a bit of fun, we're currently having a new somer built. Based on a Backwoods design, this is a medium sized unit with 2' cooking grates. Not quite the size of Adie's clone but more than big enough for our needs.

Here's the frame welded up...

Either Neil or I will post up some more pictures as the build progresses.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Royal Q's New Project

Postby Vic. » 05 Jun 2011, 19:00

what's a somer Steve? tried googling it and nothing popped up
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby All Weather Griller » 05 Jun 2011, 19:09

I think it was Iphone for Smoker :lol:
All Weather Griller

Postby Steve » 05 Jun 2011, 19:16

That was indeed iPhone for smoker :lol:

That's what you get for not reading your posts before hitting the submit button. Doh!
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vic. » 05 Jun 2011, 19:19

see all that texting stuff, drives me up the wall. Sis keeps on sending me messages 'AYSOS'.....'2G2BT'.....WTF :?:
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Vic. » 05 Jun 2011, 19:37

you going to insulate it Steve, with the firebox at the bottom?
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 05 Jun 2011, 19:52

Yes it will be insulated Vic. We're just in the process of sorting out the insulation with kitsons. They've been great, took an interest in what we're doing and offered great advice.

Firebox is at the bottom and it's a tri-wall design making it the upright equivalent of a reverse flow. We're also putting a gravity fed auto water system on it. Later we may add convection fans as bws offer. However I don't know how worthwhile that will be.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vic. » 05 Jun 2011, 20:01

Steve wrote:Firebox is at the bottom and it's a tri-wall design making it the upright equivalent of a reverse flow.

let me get my head around this, the heat will travel from the bottom, to the top and then you're going to force it downwards through the meat?...neat idea and with the fans it should give you a contant temp throughout your smoker :)

My rope seal has broken off again, as a word of advice, try to secure yours with something other than the stove adhesive glue. I'm going to try screwing self-tapping screws into mine now.
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 05 Jun 2011, 20:10

Basically there's 2 cavities in the walls. The outer one is filled with insulation, the inner one is hollow. Smoke travels up the inner cavity and is let into the main chamber at the top. The exhaust outlet is at the base of the cooking chamber so you get a natural convection current going.

The fans are an option for when the cooker is heavily loaded. Most bws owners I've spoken to only use their convection kits when their smokers are full. That's why I don't currently see it as essential.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Barbecue Reviews