Bodeans Soho 7/11/09

A forum for reviews of bbq restaurants. Only mods and admins can create new topics here, but everyone else can reply. Opinions expressed here are those of the individual and are not representative of the BBBQS.

Re: Bodeans Soho 7/11/09

Postby ablais » 16 Apr 2010, 15:33

Hi Toby,
I take great interest as a new member of this Forum regarding your review of Bodean's BBQ. As I am true to my name and reputation in the Industry. You had a poor experience, so I d like to invite you back when its good for you. Any guests who has a poor experience in one of my restaurant, firstly notifies the Manager on Duty. Then our 8 Steps of service kick in to rectify the issue, and hopefully leave a customer with a better feeling when heading out the door. In your case, this did not occur , so why not give us another chance on me!
We have guest feedback cards, which I read every Monday and respond to, we have a website to hear about your experience, and we have managers ready to rectify would hopefully was a ''one off '' bad experience>>>>
Since your review, I have introduced Jacob Ladder ribs, which my guest claim are to die for. Our wings, unfortunately are not the healthiest option for a young one, as they are Buffalo chicken wings. This means, in our case at Bodean's that we smoke them, then, deep fry them for the crispyness effect. But once out of the fryer, the oil , correctly so should not totally stain your napkin. It gets impregnated. We now produce our Pull pork and certain other products in our new Central Kitchen since Dec 09 to avoid inconsistencies as you experienced,,,,, with apologies. So what have you got to loose, give it another go for the sake of the mix reviews about our establishments. Are we Smokin or are we not? The Owner
ablais
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby British BBQ Society » 16 Apr 2010, 15:42

Hi, I was chatting to a couple fo friends this week about going back up to have another go, Certainly after Andy's review I must have just hit a rough day but would be more than happy to re-review. I will send you a PM later.
Regards
Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 16 Apr 2010, 17:05

That's the kind of reaction that's good to see!!!!

If only I got the same reaction from Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurant in Reading after being served over cooked veal there recently :roll:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mighty » 24 Apr 2010, 16:25

I came across Bodeans, Poland St purely by accident whilst "down in the smoke" just before Christmas and as I was meeting a few old mates from my music degree for a late lunch it seemed like a really great idea.

I ordered the burnt ends and ribs and while the brisket part of the deal was really pretty good, the ribs honestly weren't up to much. In fact I've had "bbq"ribs that weren't really bbq in plenty of places, even some not so great chain restaurants, which were better. In fact they were probably the toughest ribs I've ever tried to deal with. I finished my "ends" and gave up on the ribs as I just didn't have the jaw energy! The sauce wasn't anything particularly special, but there was nothing wrong with it either, so it was more than acceptable as far as I was concerned.

Before happening across the place completely by accident I had no idea it even existed. I'm sure with some work on the ribs that Bodeans really could be the best way to introduce the average Brit to REAL bbq.

Its a real shame though they haven't thought of strengthening the brand a little though, so as to leave the door open to possibly franchising outlets in the future. Maybe I should visit the other branches to see how they stack together, but it did feel like there wasn't much to build on there. I'm sure though, that by fixing a few little issues and creating a brand in a sector of the restaurant industry that really doesn't currently exist in the UK, that Bodeans could be very successful with the right drive and ambition behind it.

Personally I'd give anything to have one up here in Yorkshire... I'd even sit and eat the ribs until they got them right!!!
Mighty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby British BBQ Society » 14 Jun 2010, 19:54

Its been a busy few weeks with the first comp of the season and the 2nd coming up in a few weeks but I will be visiting one of there branches very soon, i will keep you posted.

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bencops » 09 Oct 2010, 23:24

Bodeans has been a fixture in my life for a long time now - its definitely got worse since it opened but they do do some absolutely fantastic ribs and PP on occasion. I've had some awful food there sometimes but some truly great BBQ there too. I must have eaten there 100 times.

My advice is to give them a go in Soho, and try it at lunchtime. They learnt their trade from Oklahoma Joes so it can't all be bad. I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather eat just off Oxford Street.
bencops

Postby Smokingwoodman » 11 Oct 2010, 20:25

I hadn't had a look at this page for some time. After Toby's visit last year I said that Andre the big boss would want to know about any negative feedback. I was pleased to see Toby posted a link and impressed that Andre took the time to personally offer to facilitate another visit.

I supplied Bodeans with wood from Soho opening in 2002 and saw first hand the group grow into what it is today with hundreds of staff. Andre was a gentleman to deal with from day one until one of damn staff found a bigger and better supplier in 2009!

Still I don't miss getting up at 5.30am every Saturday to lug 10 tonnes of Oak & a bit of Cherry each year to the branches.

There are still very few American BBQ style restaurants, The Big Easy in Chelsea no longer smoke on the premises so Bodeans has to be No 1... or do you know different ? :lol:
Smokingwoodman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby British BBQ Society » 11 Oct 2010, 20:36

We know different, Bodeans dont smoke in each restaurant (6 months ago), they now have a central........ Processing plant.... to supply its restaurants, I assume in vacuum packed bags? Have visited since my review and refuse to use the vouchers they sent. I am still waiting for the improvement. Fast food upstairs is ok, downstairs is very average.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Smokingwoodman » 18 Oct 2010, 16:56

Well that told me Toby !

Guess I am out of date, haven't been in Bodeans since July 2009. My understanding was that they tried central production but went back to on site smoking.

Would still like to see more American BBQ style restaurants even if the food can't match BBBQS Comp standards.
Smokingwoodman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby CamandEve'sdad » 12 Feb 2011, 20:02

Got to say, we ate at Bodeans Tower Hill a couple of times last summer and i thought the pulled pork sandwhich with an ice cold coors was amazing! The platter for 2 to share was equally good and good value for money too.
CamandEve'sdad
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant Reviews