Reds True BBQ - Manchester

A forum for reviews of bbq restaurants. Only mods and admins can create new topics here, but everyone else can reply. Opinions expressed here are those of the individual and are not representative of the BBBQS.

Reds True BBQ - Manchester

Postby BBQFanatic » 19 Mar 2014, 22:43

So I let Scott know I was coming in and he was kind enough to arrange a table for me as they are new and very very busy (90+minute wait on a thursday evening after 8:30). We arrived and were quickly served by some pretty lil' thang. They have a cracking array of local and foreign home brew - I had the 90 minute dogfish mmmm.

I was with a few BBQ novices so we talked them through the options and ended up going for
- Beef Ribs
- Pork Slabs
- Sausage
- Fries
- Sweet Tatti Fries
- BBQ Beans
- Slaw

In the meantime we were given a tour of the kitchens and 2 of the biggest FEC cookers I have truly ever seen. They were RAMMED to the brim with food and going hell for leather. Its the only time I have seen anything approaching US sizes in the UK.

When we returned we started tasting the various food stuffs and sauces (I cant remember what they were, but 2 were particularly good). We tasted in the following order over a period of 40 minutes (including a kitchen visit - which accounts for my complaint later).

Beef Ribs - Had a great crust on and were jacobs ladders rather than short ribs. A very spicy texas style rub with no glaze. This was by far the best meat dish I had and reminded me of the beef ribs I had at Blacks in Lochart. Very good and melt in your mouth

Sausage - Excellent, as good as anything I had in Texas and Kansas, surprised at how good it was

Pork Slabs - Excellent balanced spice and lovely glaze. By the time we hit the ribs they were a little cool and had dried out a bit, we should have eaten them straight away. Lovely thick ribs

BBQ Beans - Nice and spicy but with massive chunks of pulled pork - Epic!

Slaw - Light and refreshing

Chips - Lowlight of the day

Sweet Potato Fries - The best I have honestly ever had anywhere. Stunning, table couldnt stop talking about them

Post dinner we did another kitchen tour and were allowed to taste all the spices for each of the meat dishes. As experiences go, this was first class, a really amazing experience that had my team gobsmacked and gagging for more BBQ. Well done guys.
BBQFanatic

Re: Reds True BBQ - Manchester

Postby Toby » 25 Mar 2014, 07:48

Fantastic, its great to see their growth from nothing and hitting the spot with a venture that size!
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stretchie_ » 01 Apr 2014, 09:26

I went back to the mother land (Manchester) last week, where is this place. I will send some of my minions to go try it out :)
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby BRUN » 18 Apr 2014, 12:04

Albert Square 8-)
BRUN
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby stretchie_ » 23 Apr 2014, 10:19

I sent a minion over (that I have successfully converted in to a smoker) to try it out and he and his Mrs LOVED it
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Restaurant Reviews