Red Dog Saloon (2013)

A forum for reviews of bbq restaurants. Only mods and admins can create new topics here, but everyone else can reply. Opinions expressed here are those of the individual and are not representative of the BBBQS.

Red Dog Saloon (2013)

Postby ConorD » 25 Apr 2013, 07:31

I wanted to post a new review for the Red Dog Saloon in Hoxton Square (http://www.reddogsaloon.co.uk/) as I have been trying out what the capital has to offer by way of BBQ restaurants. Having been to a couple of the Bodeans Restaurants, Pit Cue, and Barbecoa on a number of occasions I would like to think that I am someway qualified to compare these establishments.

I want to stress that this is not a review of the entire experience as you very much get what you pay for on this side of things (i.e silver service at Barbecoa vs basement Q at the Pit Cue) but the Red Dog Saloon is bright and airy on the corner of Hoxton Square with a nice outside area at the front for when the weather was good. The service was excellent and we were never left waiting for anything.

I think that it is fair to say that this was the best Q that I have had in a restaurant of any type in a long time and that sentiment was echo'd around the table by Q lovers and novices alike.

I shared the Carnivore Platter with a colleague which came with spare ribs, chicken thighs, a beef rib, pulled pork, a hot link and 2 sides each (BBQ beans, slaw and colored greens in our case) and was impressed with all elements - particularly the beef rib. What you get for £20 is impressive.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I have had far to many ribs in various establishments that do not live up to anything I have produced at home but these really did cut the mustard.

The pulled pork, as well, came in it's own jou and had a lovely mix of tender pork and well formed bark. Personally I prefer this method of presentation where you have a choice of sauces on the table (in this case a Kansas style sweet BBQ sauce, a N. Carolina vinegar based one and something that I would describe as a mix of hot dog mustard and a sweet chili sauce) over the chef's need to smoother the pork in their BBQ sauce so that you don't actually taste the pork anymore - take note Barbecoa.

Everything on that platter deserved to be there and it was hard not to order more when we had gratefully polished it off.

At the table the popular dish seemed to be the ribs and pulled pork - a couple of good sized spare ribs with a good heap of pork accompanied by chips and some slaw.

There was also one taker for the Carolina Style Pork Sandwich which I was assured was delicious (form someone who has spent a lot of time in the US sampling their BBQ fare up close and personal).

Last but not least was one of the burgers which again held it's own at this table of smoked meat and would have to given the presence of a Byrons across the road.

Good service was matched with good beer (from the Camden Brewery) and all in all a great lunch at a place that I am already planning my next lunch at.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Red Dog Saloon (2013)

Postby Toby » 25 Apr 2013, 07:35

God I am hungry now!!!!
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Red Dog Saloon (2013)

Postby derekmiller » 25 Apr 2013, 08:17

Mmmm.