BBC Marinade Guide

A place for all your seasonings and sauces.

BBC Marinade Guide

Postby andytraill » 09 Jul 2014, 18:53

Few interesting points and a different marinade from Raymond Blanc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z9c44wx
andytraill
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: BBC Marinade Guide

Postby JEC » 10 Jul 2014, 05:17

Interesting if slightly patronising. The protein article is equally relevant to BBQ fans as it suggests eating too much protein, especially processed meats will make you die in middle age. Nothing new as we've all been told cooking over charcoal will kill us, looks like eating too much meat will too, double whammy!! Anyone want to buy an well used Big Green Egg :?
JEC

Re: BBC Marinade Guide

Postby andytraill » 11 Jul 2014, 17:20

:lol: Indeed, life is terminal. So might as well never suffer rubbish food. :D

I liked the sound of the marinade and hadn't realised that the pineapple would do a different job to lemon. Also never knew why lemon could harden up meat and make it stringy (though I have experienced that first hand on a number of occasions...).

I'm not sure how easy it is to get papaya but I'm going to keep an eye out for it now to try a test.

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromelain

Meat tenderizing[edit]
Along with papain*, bromelain is one of the most popular proteases to use for meat tenderizing. Today, about 90% of meat tenderizer is used in consumer households. Bromelain is sold in a powdered form, which is combined with a marinade, or directly sprinkled on the uncooked meat. The enzyme penetrates the meat, and by a process called forking, causes the meat to become tender and palatable when cooked. If the enzyme is allowed to work for too long, however, the meat may become too "mushy" for the preferences of many consumers.

Cooked or canned pineapple does not have a tenderizing effect, as the enzymes are heat-labile and destroyed in the cooking process. Some prepared meat products, such as meatballs and commercially available marinades, include pineapple and/or pineapple-derived ingredients.

*that's the papya one
andytraill
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Rubs, Marinades & Sauces