Supermarket goodness

A place for all your seasonings and sauces.

Supermarket goodness

Postby Tiny » 23 Mar 2014, 07:43

Good fellows,
Looking for a little help here. Whilst Mrs Tiny is generally supportive of my BBQ leanings an area of tension is the supermarket sauces and rubs aisle. I am of course interested if there are any new or exciting products that an bbq'er might like but owing to myoptical inadequacy this means asking Mrs T to read out what looks a bit like an new bbq ingredient. This sport she is not keen on.

So good people can I have your sage counsel can I get a tub of old hickories Oregon blend insanity dust from an supermarket or boss trousers moonshine sweet smoky bbq sauce from ASDA?

I have of course made these products up, but if you have some supermarket favourites would welcome your sage counsel. So let me know of any good rubs or sauces and which of the high street monsters stock them,

Please and thank you
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Supermarket goodness

Postby ConorD » 23 Mar 2014, 08:06

There are a bunch of sauces that I have found but the best so far is Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce from Tesco's.

I am yet to find anywhere that sells a decent rub though.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 23 Mar 2014, 15:06

Have you had a go at making your own tiny?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby robgunby » 24 Mar 2014, 08:33

I've tried a lot of sauces at quite a high cost and found nothing at all beats homemade. For one thing, most barbecue sauces sold in the UK have smoke flavouring in, and I just don't like the idea of masking the smoke flavour I've just spent 18 hours infusing into my meat with some stuff from a bottle :S I have three homemade sauces ready to go most of the time, a sweet one, a thin vinegar one, and more recently a mustard one. I make others to demand.

As far as rubs go, I get through so much of the stuff, it just makes no financial sense to buy anything ready made. I get most of my rub ingredients at Pakistani supermarkets and Makro as they both sell huuuuuge packets of spice :D
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 24 Mar 2014, 09:50

Post some recipes Rob :D
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby DJBenz » 24 Mar 2014, 11:47

aris wrote:Post some recipes Rob :D

This^ :D

I got some Sweet Baby Ray's from Tesco, but I'm not that impressed TBH. It's OK, but like everything American it's full of High Fructose Corn Syrup. Would prefer to make my own if possible.
DJBenz
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby robgunby » 24 Mar 2014, 14:59

Sauce or rubs?

Had a two day trial at a barbecue restaurant last week, they have changed their smoking methods, rubs and added a sauce and a special from my repository already! I felt quite proud :)
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 24 Mar 2014, 19:19

Gents,
I do make my own up, but this again needs the services of an sighted assistant, and if I thought ahead then yes I could make up an large batch and dip a spoon in it at the right time.

Was just looking to see if I could find an "off the shelf" solution for those last minute .com decisions.

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby ConorD » 24 Mar 2014, 19:59

As I feel Tinys pain I bought a load of sauces online (and rubs) for the odd hit "hit". Although not from the supermarket this is always an option there for you my friend.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 24 Mar 2014, 20:01

robgunby wrote:

Sauce or rubs?

Had a two day trial at a barbecue restaurant last week, they have changed their smoking methods, rubs and added a sauce and a special from my repository already! I felt quite proud :)

Post some sauce recipes.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Rubs, Marinades & Sauces